Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Media player question?

fudgie

Inactive User
Can anyone recommend a free media player that is sutitable for viewing in extended mode?

I would like to be able to view movies with out the borders on the player showing. The Full screen opion just stretchs the picture arcross to screens and pulling the window out by the corners is the only opion I can see is avaliable.
But you see to much of the media player on a 42" telly and it's enoying.

Cheers :)

I assuming you are talking about a media player for Windows PC.

I don't understand about WMP, you can select 'Full screen' and 'Hide menu bar' in the options, you won't see any of the media player controls ?

If you are talking about black borders either to the side or above/below the picture then that is because the aspect ratio of the file you are playing is different to the TV. This is common when watching movies.

I assuming you are talking about a media player for Windows PC.

I don't understand about WMP, you can select 'Full screen' and 'Hide menu bar' in the options, you won't see any of the media player controls ?

If you are talking about black borders either to the side or above/below the picture then that is because the aspect ratio of the file you are playing is different to the TV. This is common when watching movies.

Opps, sorry that's my fault, I could have been a little clearer.

Yes I'm talking about a windows PC connected to my telly using HDMI.
When viewing a movie on my telly in extended desktop mode I don't want to see the borders of the media player. Using the full screen opion only spreads the movie across 2 screens. Maybe I'm doing this all wrong or I'm missing something here.

If you double click on the video screen this should take away the media player frame and play the video full screen. You can also use alt-enter.

I use splayer which is free very good and does a lot more than WMP. It doesnt need any codec packs as it downloads it's own automatically, it can also download subs automatically too.

Splayer doesnt spread the video onto 2 screens, but then again nether does WMP on my PC.

You can double click the video with splayer too, and many other players to get full screen.

SPlayer_Official Website_The award winning high performance all-in-one player

Last edited:
Opps, sorry that's my fault, I could have been a little clearer.

Yes I'm talking about a windows PC connected to my telly using HDMI.
When viewing a movie on my telly in extended desktop mode I don't want to see the borders of the media player. Using the full screen opion only spreads the movie across 2 screens. Maybe I'm doing this all wrong or I'm missing something here.

strange, I use a dual screen setup and when I double click inside of a playing video, it only maximises onto the screen it playing on.

What O/S are you using ?

strange, I use a dual screen setup and when I double click inside of a playing video, it only maximises onto the screen it playing on.

What O/S are you using ?

you need to select projector/tv only, in windows click on the select external monitor until the only one screen is showing what you are using is extended/duplicate desktop i.e in vista/7 windows key + P will cycle through options computer only;duplicate;extend;projector only

edogg

Is it clone (duplicate) or are you talking about extended?
I only have this trouble when I setup the desktop in extended mode.

What O/S are you using ?

You need XBMC in your life :)

I have tried that media player, but I find it a little confusing.

you need to select projector/tv only, in windows click on the select external monitor until the only one screen is showing what you are using is extended/duplicate desktop i.e in vista/7 windows key + P will cycle through options computer only;duplicate;extend;projector only

edogg

I didn't know how to change the settings without using the ATI sofware, thank you.
I have always set my desktop to clone in the past, but since I got this new video card (xfx hd 5450) I have been playing round with the extened desktop opion because I can get much higher reslutions this way. Duplicating the desktop I can only get 1680x1050 max but if I setup the desktop in extended opion I can get 3360x1050.

Thanks for the advice peeps I will have another go at it as soon as I can tear the Mrs away from the PC.: whip :

Back