Manual Upgrade to 4.2

pks00

Inactive User
Reaction score
Well after some time I finally managed to get it done. I have been on 4.1 for a while and understood that the 4.2 update is an attempt to remove the modding. I know you can easily use BannerBomb v2 to get your stuff back but where is the fun in that if the modding is not so challenging?

Anyways I wanted to manually upgrade to 4.2 and along the way learnt some new stuff.

Before I start ensure you have BootMii installed and have backed up your nand.
Along with BootMii ensure you have Preloader/Priiloader installed. I have Preloader and all is still working fine.
Ensure you have some sort of WAD manager that allows you to install wads.
Download the tools DOPIOS and NUS Downloader. Links found in the references I have given or just net search it.

I will summarise now as I don't feel like writing an essay

1. Reminder - Ensure you have your nand backed before upgrading. I had to restore a couple of times after making a mistake. Though it didn't do no harm, I would rather get it done cleanly.

2. Updating HBC channel. I kept getting the Vulnerable IOS error. This was because of the cIOSCorp mod. I know there is an uninstaller but I understand it leaves your IOS out of date. I do not know how true that was so I manually removed it. All information on removing it can be found here. It worked a treat for me. I had no korean files to remove and did not bother with the checking. I just proved it worked by updating hbc channel.

3. Now with cIOSCorp removed and hbc channel updated to latest version it was time to upgrade. You need to NUS downloader tool in order to download the 4.2 system menu and shopping channel wads.

Download the tool and enter 0000000100000002 in the title id prompt and 482 in the v prompt. 482 reflects Europe region.

Now remember to tick "Pack -> Wad".

Once done click on Start NUS download.

42-1.png

You should now have a WAD in a newly created folder starting with 0000000100000002. This needs to be copied to the WAD folder on your sd card.

Now to download the latest shopping channel, the title id is 0001000248414241 and enter 18 in the v prompt. As of this time, v18 is the latest shopping channel version. Again click Pack -> WAD and Start NUS download and copy wad file sd card.

NOTE : THIS NUS DOWNLOADER TOOL IS WICKED. YOU CAN GET LOTS OF OTHER THINGS AS WELL.

4. Download and run DOP-IOS. Start HBC, run DopIOS. IOS to dop is IOS249 so click A on that. Now you need to get two updated IOS. First is IOS61 so use the arrows until IOS61 selected, press A to install and A to confirm. This will download and install that IOS.

Do the same again now for IOS70 instead of IOS61 (still for IOS249).

5. Now click home to get back to hbc channel. Go to your WAD Manager channel and run the two newly added wads.

6. Thats it! I did all this and now I have 4.2E and can go to Wii Shopping Channel without it asking me for a system update. And the first thing I saw was BBCi Player. Will be testing that soon, hopefully it works.

All credit for manually upgrading goes to Psykus

Along the way, dopping the wrong IOS my HBC channel went upside down. Any mistakes I made I just restored my nand so was back to 4.1 again.

Now that I have upgraded to 4.2 I have still got my HBC channel and BootMii still working fine so no need to do any modding.! :banana:

nice one m8 good guide for any one who wants to go to 4.2e manually , but why not just upgrade from the internet

edogg

I could of upgraded via the internet but then I would lose my modding and would have to do it again. I much preferred to do it this way thus keeping all my stuff intact.

Some people even those without any mods have reported issues updating via system update. Linky here.

4.2 is a waste of time, all it does is remove regionfree and attempts to block homebrew.

4.1 is the one you want to stay on until something worth upgrading for comes out.

well i have updated 8 wiis for family to 4.2e and no bricks they vary from very early ones to the latest 2 year old versions
i just wondered why it was better to update manually and you gave me a very good reason so thank you again for the post

edogg

the reason why some have bricked is because they are overwritten boot2 (to remove bootmii), there is no reason to do this other than removing unauthorised modifications. You can just reinstall bootmii straight after the update anyway.

But if the update fails while its rewriting the boot2 section, you will have a full brick which you need a nand backup and external programmer to fix.

4.2 is a waste of time, all it does is remove regionfree and attempts to block homebrew.

4.1 is the one you want to stay on until something worth upgrading for comes out.

I needed the shopping channel which I understood the latest to be with 4.2. I do not know if it was possible to install the latest channel via wad without 4.2 because of the system update checks it makes.

I know 4.2 does not bring much but I wanted to have more up to date IOS on my wii without the mod removal hence I did it this way.

I needed the shopping channel which I understood the latest to be with 4.2. I do not know if it was possible to install the latest channel via wad without 4.2 because of the system update checks it makes.

I know 4.2 does not bring much but I wanted to have more up to date IOS on my wii without the mod removal hence I did it this way.

use NUS to get the latest shop channel from the menu and install that wad. Works fine on 4.1

use NUS to get the latest shop channel from the menu and install that wad. Works fine on 4.1

yea, that is what I did. I posted a screenshot of it as well in the original post. This is what I used to download the updated IOS files. I know there might not be much in 4.2 but I'd rather have the latest files and so far the Wii is fine so no remod required after upgrading to 4.2. HBC, BootMii and preloader still all on there. The only hassle was removing cIOSCorp.

Back