Man who killed guard at Holocaust museum has links to BNP

totalgenius

Inactive User
Reaction score
• White supremacist injured in Washington gunfight
• Records show 88-year-old was at fundraising events

A white supremacist who killed a security guard at a Holocaust memorial museum in the US has links to the British National party, which gained two MEPs in last week's European elections.

Thousands of visitors fled the museum in Washington on Wednesday after James von Brunn opened fire, killing a security guard. In the gunfight that followed, the 88-year-old was shot, and is now in a critical condition in hospital.

Yesterday it emerged that Von Brunn, a longtime antisemite, had attended meetings of the American Friends of the British National party (AFBNP), which was set up to raise funds from far-right activists in America.

Mark Cotterill, who ran the US-based organisation before it folded in 2001, said: "He did attend meetings. I have just checked my database and he is down as 'meetings only', so he was not a major donor, although he may have put some money on the plate when it was passed round."

The AFBNP treasurer, Todd Blodgett, also told the Washington Post that he and Von Brunn had attended fundraising meetings in Arlington County. The BNP leader, Nick Griffin, spoke to at least two AFBNP meetings and said the money raised by the organisation made a "significant contribution to the BNP's [2001] general election campaign".

Yesterday a spokesman for the party said: "You get a lot of people coming to meetings but I don't think you can blame us for that. Even if he did go to meetings, it was nothing to do with us."

However, anti-racism campaigners said Von Brunn's links to the BNP underlined its extremist agenda. "It is clear that Nick Griffin is at the centre of an international network of white supremacists," said Dan Hodges, of Searchlight. "The BNP must explain the full extent of his organisation's links with this antisemitic gunman."

The far-right party gained its first two MEPs in last week's European elections – Griffin in the north-west and former National Front leader Andrew Brons in Yorkshire and the Humber.

During the campaign, photographs emerged of Griffin alongside the former Ku Klux Klan grand wizard Stephen "Don" Black, who was banned from the UK by the then home secretary, Jacqui Smith. He was also criticised for defending a BNP leaflet that said black and Asian Britons should be referred to as "racial foreigners".

Yesterday Von Brunn was charged with murder and killing in the course of possessing a firearm at a federal facility, both capital offences under US federal law; police said hate crime charges were also possible.

At a press conference in Washington, Cathy Lanier, the Washington police chief, said security guard Stephen Johns was shot when he opened the door of the museum for Von Brunn. Other guards opened fire, and Von Brunn slumped to the ground.

In his car, officers found a notebook with a handwritten note saying, "You want my weapons, this is how you'll get them. The Holocaust is a lie. Obama was created by Jews," according to a court affidavit.

Von Brunn's .22-calibre rifle held 10 more bullets and investigators found more in his car and at an apartment in nearby Annapolis, Maryland, that he shared with his son and his son's fiancee.

Joseph Persichini, assistant director of the Washington FBI field office, said Von Brunn was known to the police as an antisemite and a white supremacist, who had a website that espoused hatred against African-Americans, Jews and others.

"We know what Mr Von Brunn did at the Holocaust museum. Now it's our responsibility to determine why he did it," said Joseph Persichini, assistant director of the Washington FBI field office. "We have to ask ourselves did all these years of public display of hatred impact his actions."

A self-described artist, advertising man and author, Von Brunn wrote an anti-semitic treatise, Kill the Best Gentiles, decried "the browning of America" and claimed to expose a Jewish conspiracy "to destroy the White gene-pool".

In 1983 Von Brunn was convicted of attempting to kidnap members of the US federal reserve board. At the time, police said he had wanted to take the members hostage because of high interest rates and the nation's economic difficulties. On the website, Von Brunn blames his six-year imprisonment on "a Jew judge" and "Negro jury".

Last night civil rights groups said they had been monitoring Von Brunn for decades.

Heidi Beirich, director of research for the Southern Poverty Law Centre's intelligence project, said: "He thinks the Jews control the Federal Reserve, the banking system, that basically all Jews are evil. He's an extreme antisemite."

By Matthew Taylor and Daniel Nasaw
Man who killed guard at Holocaust museum has links to BNP | World news | The Guardian

.....However, anti-racism campaigners said Von Brunn's links to the BNP underlined its extremist agenda. "It is clear that Nick Griffin is at the centre of an international network of white supremacists," said Dan Hodges, of Searchlight. "The BNP must explain the full extent of his organisation's links with this antisemitic gunman."

The far-right party gained its first two MEPs in last week's European elections – Griffin in the north-west and former National Front leader Andrew Brons in Yorkshire and the Humber.

During the campaign, photographs emerged of Griffin alongside the former Ku Klux Klan grand wizard Stephen "Don" Black, who was banned from the UK by the then home secretary, Jacqui Smith. He was also criticised for defending a BNP leaflet that said black and Asian Britons should be referred to as "racial foreigners".

This can't be right surely? That nice Mr. Griffin claims that the BNP is neither racist or anti-semitic. :confused:

I dont see whats so shocking, about an extream Right winger, having connections with, another, extreme right wing organisation!

This can't be right surely? That nice Mr. Griffin claims that the BNP is neither racist or anti-semitic. :confused:
but as he stated the BNP are a, viable, alternative to the other parties. its clear his grip on reality is, tenuous, at best.

Last edited:
If people cannot see that the BNP has toned down its discourse to get power through dubious credibility, only then to restate their fascist tendencies when they get power, then they are either stupid, ignorant, or in on it.

If people cannot see that the BNP has toned down its discourse to get power through dubious credibility, only then to restate their fascist tendencies when they get power, then they are either stupid, ignorant, or in on it.

aren't they all? all politicians say what they're going to do just to get in, then shit on us from a great height.

aren't they all? all politicians say what they're going to do just to get in, then shit on us from a great height.

That may be true but they are not right wing extremists with barbaric views that date back to the cavemen.
The BNP have no concept on the term "co-exist".
They are simply closed minded people who think the world ends at the shores of Blighty.
I saw some of that idiot Griffin's early footage and he is pure evil.
They rely on naive, angry people as their lifeblood and support and lets face it, there are plenty out there just now.

what is it with the Yanks and raising money for Nutters ? First the IRA now this.

That may be true but they are not right wing extremists with barbaric views that date back to the cavemen.
They are simply closed minded people who think the world ends at the shores of Blighty.
They rely on naive, angry people as their lifeblood and support and lets face it, there are plenty out there just now.

I lived in Stamford Hill, throughout the eighties, so bumped into the National Front, on a regular basis. (Stamford Hill is a "Jewish" area, though, at the time, they rented their over priced slums to many Asian tenants). the overall impression i got, of them, was of a well organised, bunch of drongos, who needed instruction on how to dribble, as most of them did, so they did not drown.
i don't think the BNP has changed/covered up its stance. i feel this country has lurched to the right, and massively so, making it look that way.

anyone else find it ironic the MR Griffins meeting, recently, was broken up by "organised" violence. dammed waste of eggs if you ask me.
still he now earns, close to, £300,000 per year, not bad for a "scum Thug". (i wonder if that might be liable? i do hope so)

£300.000 per year!!!
I had no idea there was so much money from being an idiot..
Unreal....

i'm not for or against the bnp, i was just saying thats politics, just like the "co-exist" part of your post is not just a bnp view on life, a whole lot of groups dont want to.

like i said this is not + or - for any individual group/party just my opinion

£300.000 per year!!!
I had no idea there was so much money from being an idiot..
Unreal....

kin right it's "unreal".

£200,000 and change for being an MEP
£207 per day, over and above wages, just for turning up
+ running costs for an office and staff.
that's on top of what he can scam, as all MEP's do. so £300,000 is conservative estimate. that's conservative with a small "c", not Thatchers megalomaniac squad.

Is this what passes for news these days? This criminal's link to the BNP is sketchy at best, yet once again the media have managed to turn the story into something that its not. It’s directly analogous to blaming David Cameron and every conservative voter for a murder that is committed by a Tory supporter.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not a BNP supporter in the least, I have never voted for them and never shall. The simple fact is all of this media attention they're getting is going to strengthen them as a party. I feel that in their case, there really is no such thing as bad publicity.

While I’m ranting, I can't get over the guile of Mr Brown, saying there is no place in democracy for the likes of the BNP and that the proportional representation system should be changed. (New) Labour seemed to be fine with it when they were winning everything though!
Surely a democracy should be just that, a system in which people have the right to vote for whomever they like.
In my opinion the three big parties need to win back the confidence of those that voted BNP as a protest, by actually doing their job of representing the general public and the concerns that they have. If they really want to keep these people out then it’s about time they took their heads out of the trough and took some decisive action before the whole country implodes in on itself.

Is this what passes for news these days? This criminal's link to the BNP is sketchy at best, yet once again the media have managed to turn the story into something that its not. It’s directly analogous to blaming David Cameron and every conservative voter for a murder that is committed by a Tory supporter.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not a BNP supporter in the least, I have never voted for them and never shall. The simple fact is all of this media attention they're getting is going to strengthen them as a party. I feel that in their case, there really is no such thing as bad publicity.

While I’m ranting, I can't get over the guile of Mr Brown, saying there is no place in democracy for the likes of the BNP and that the proportional representation system should be changed. (New) Labour seemed to be fine with it when they were winning everything though!
Surely a democracy should be just that, a system in which people have the right to vote for whomever they like.
In my opinion the three big parties need to win back the confidence of those that voted BNP as a protest, by actually doing their job of representing the general public and the concerns that they have. If they really want to keep these people out then it’s about time they took their heads out of the trough and took some decisive action before the whole country implodes in on itself.

I think when Gordon Brown said that it was a personal view not a political view.
We do live in a society where we can vote for whoever and i cannot see that changing.
However would we still have that right if the BNP were in charge.?

apart from misquoting the PM. do you really think the BNP, wont have their nose in the trough? mind you, they could have problems. i bet they couldn't get close enough, because of the Conservative MP's.:proud:

'Scuse my ignorance, but WTF has that got to do with this thread?

This is a typical example of how the BNP would put a point across.
It saddens me Dazza what some people will do to make a point.
Very sad.

As Edcase says, this is a non-story at best. The headline link is so tenuous as to be non existant.

Its about time the UK media started reporting real facts instead of just digging up stuff for their own agendas.

btw, I agree with Dazza. What exactly has the Kinsella story got to do with this one ?

R.I.P Ben Kinsella
Ahh, you are assuming it was a, purely, racially motivated attack. or should i say, insinuating? well, black youth gangs kill each other, faster than they kill whites. so it would seem to be a theory, with weak legs. and its definitely one, for another time and place!

@hoppy, i might of guessed you would get it

Last edited:
Back