man awakes after 19 years in coma

Zooropa

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
A man has regained consciousness after spending 19 years in a coma.The first word Terry Wallis spoke on reawakening was 'Mom'. The second was 'Pepsi'.The 39-year-old can finally get to know his daughter of 19 who was born shortly after he was involved in a car crash in 1984 in Arkansas in the US which left him comatose and a quadraplegic.

His father Jerry said his son uttered his first word on June 12, was able to talk a little a day later and has improved ever since.

His mother Angilee called her son's return to consciousness a miracle. "I couldn't tell you my first thought, I just fell over on the floor," she said.

Terry Wallis' wife, Sandi, said: "It's been hard dealing with it. It's been hard realising the man I married can't be there. The whole family missed out on his company."

While in a coma, Wallis spent most of his time at a rehabilitation centre in Arkansas, but his family took him out for weekends and special occasions.

"The doctor said that's why he remembers things; we might have kept his mind going," Sandi Wallis said.

Terry says he want to walk again for his daughter, Amber.

In the accident, he had been driving with a friend when their car plunged into a creek. They were found the next day underneath a bridge. The friend died.

Back