Makita Impact Driver (£26.95)

How does the voltage effect the performance? I always thought it was in the amperage, and the voltage just needed to be enough to push it around the circuit? :)

W=IxV :)

I remember doing all this, but i couldn't quite grasp it. For instance, you hot a 12v car battery with plenty of available amperage. Then you have a CRT trippler with 25,000v and very little amperage?? Lol

W=IxV :)

I remember doing all this, but i couldn't quite grasp it. For instance, you hot a 12v car battery with plenty of available amperage. Then you have a CRT trippler with 25,000v and very little amperage?? Lol
Bloody hell Dar, old school. Hadn't heard that term for a long time. 👍

The multiplication sign between the current and voltage is rarely shown.

Bloody hell Dar, old school. Hadn't heard that term for a long time. 👍

The multiplication sign between the current and voltage is rarely shown.
Lol (mid 80's)

What about V over I times R
And Big Boy's Ride On Young Giraffes Because Pony's Get Wild ffs (i think the G + P had other words ;)

Anyway, back to my power lesson....

So take my Zgemma power supply, it outputs 12v at 2amps.
So is the power available 12x2 or
240x2?

How do you calculate the available power of a 12v car battery?

And back to the drill lol, what power difference can you expect from an 18v as opposed to a 12v?
If the battery was similar, I'm thinking 1/3rd more power?

I suppose it's a bit like a car being able to do 90mph or 60.
Around town, it wouldn't make much difference, but on a motorway, it would. :)

Last edited:
If both use the same battery, say a 5A then the 18v will kick out half as much again. As in 90W compared to 60W for 12v.
Your psu is 12v at 2A so equals 24W

If both use the same battery, say a 5A then the 18v will kick out half as much again. As in 90W compared to 60W for 12v.
Your psu is 12v at 2A so equals 24W
I suppose it depends what you're using it for then. If it's random DIY jobs, then the 12 is ok. If it's for work or every day use, then it just won't suffice. :)

I suppose it depends what you're using it for then. If it's random DIY jobs, then the 12 is ok. If it's for work or every day use, then it just won't suffice. :)
For the odd diy work a 10.8v power tool should be sufficient. 12v if you are a bit of a hobbyist, but definitely an 18 to 24v if using it for work. I prefer DeWalt and all mine are the 18v XR range.
I'm not a heavy user at the moment but when I was building my workshop I was easily getting 3 days good use out of my drill and impact driver both using 5A batteries. On site they would last the shift and be recharged overnight.

Back