Making dbox2 legal for sale?

ennerdale22

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi

Can anybody tell me which files need to be removed from dbox2 to make it legal to sell in uk (on ebay for example), Or is it just best to do a full reset on dbox (not sure how this is done though). The box is mine and has been (and still is) working perfect for almost 12 months but im a bit scint at the minute and may have to sell, also it does get boring watching the same movies every day!! the only thig ill miss is the live footy.

ive heard a few stories of cable companies monitoring sales of dboxs within the uk (uk seleer 2 uk seller) and turning up on peoples doorsteps,are these true or just very rare icidents.

thanks

if you want to remove file just flash with wrong image ie if its a x1 box flash with x2 you will end with kein system then whoever buys it all they need do is reflash and off they go,hope this puts you at ease

ebay will most likley pull the auction .. they are very very picky .. just say dbox 2 and dont state any thing else as anyone looking for onw will know what it is. i think none of the files are illiegeal .. just remove your scan files.
i would go to your local pub and ask if some one wants it ;) or local computer fair or car boot sale ..

Think you'll have to remove the keys as a minimum. If you load one of the older sportster images there's an option to create a keyless image (not sure if the option is still there on more up-to-date images). Flash the keyless image back on and don't connect it to your cable (preventing auto key update) and you should be ok.

Might be worth you taken the services file off as well. Not sure if this is illegal but the chances are the purchaser is in a different area so the file won't be much used to him anyway.

Thinking about it - why don't you flash any image from the downloads section here. They don't contain keys or services and must be legal after all!!

Last edited:
@iant yes the images on here DO contain keys. as said above just flash a wrong image to the box so you get KEIN SYSTEM or put it on ebay and mention nowt about any cable company or recieving any free channels

Remember guys,

the avia and ucodes are also copyrighted...

Best is that you install a Yadi Image or a DietmarW as they contain no illegal content.

I think simply deleteing the keys should be enough. Knowing which service is available for which transponder is/should be fine. Thats like saying Sky 1 is available on astra, that inself gives you nothing.

The keys, now THAT would be a problem, delete them.

pt-1 said:
Remember guys,

Best is that you install a Yadi Image or a DietmarW as they contain no illegal content.

They may be illegal but as the hardware is also avia based (for the avia ones) then I doubt that would be a problem tbh.

Hi,
Dunno if it's any good but here's the Yadi image that I got on my box. Backed it up dunno why! Maybe if I needed to send box back I could put it back on!

leefield said:
@iant yes the images on here DO contain keys.

Didn't know that - guess you never stop picking things up n this game!!

pt-1 said:
Remember guys,

Every dbox2 owner bought the right to use that files.
Its like a pc bios. The pc bios is also copyrighted but nobody come to the idea to remove the pc bios before selling a used pc.

if you do use yadi, bear in mind its slightly peculiar initial setup routine!!! ... NOT recommended if your lcd display has many 'stripes'!! LOL!

well remove any thing that can scan for channels in the uk maybe leave one image that came with the box german images dont work here leave the box as you got it ...

The question was "legal"

emus are illegal

keys are illegal

If the Ucodes/Avias have not been extracted from the original Betanova that came with the Box they would be illegal too (Maybe a court in Germany would only pay attention to this)

Advertising the Box that it enables to watch certain channels without a Pin Code is illegal in certain countrys too

Whoever is buying the Box in the UK should know where or how he get's it working or they will keep bugging you.

Install a Yadi/DietmarW Image on it and you are OK and Safe but do not mention anything else.

So to make it short, selling it with the original Betanova on it or a legal Linux Image and you are ok...

We can of course keep talking about deleting certain Lines of existing code in the Image that you have got on but......?

Thanks for all your advice, ist there a way of just reseting the box using the remote.

Still havnt made my mind up to sell or not though!!!!!!

i think it would be easier to sell to a mate or someone down the pup, but the prob with that as someone pointed out is that they would be constantly hassling me whenever somthing goes wrong or files need updating ect....

cheers
dave

Backup cam-alpha.bin, avia500.ux, avia600.ux, cables.xml and scan.conf from your current image and flash a yadi image.
Upload cam-alpha.bin and the avia files to /var/ucodes and cables.xml and scan.conf to /var/tuxbox/config. Set the language to english and after that procedure its only possible to use the box for free channels.

But that again is the "legal" question....

It is as far am I aware illegal in the UK to connect any non cc providers box to a cable feed.....

But I leave you to that as I only try to answer your question truthfully:banana:

Illegal means breaking the law and there is no law which tell you is prohibited to connect a non cc box to a cable feed.
Its only prohibited to watch pay-tv without paying and sell ready made up devices for such issues.

Last edited:
Back