MAC and config file

teracir

Inactive User
Reaction score
hi,

this may sound like a stupid question but can someone please help me understand MAC and their relationship to config file.

is it correct to assume that each mac address has its own config file (this determine at what speed your modem runs at)

can you change the config file for a MAC address?

in DHCP force you get some MAC's with config file and others without. is it right that the MAC'S without config file are useless? or can they be used with a different config file?

how do you determine what speed a MAC is running at?

can someone please PM me and have a look at my MAC address to determine which UBR i am on?

thankss in advance

in DHCP force you get some MAC's with config file and others without. is it right that the MAC'S without config file are useless? or can they be used with a different config file?

I'd want to no the answer of that. anyone?

is it correct to assume that each mac address has its own config file (this determine at what speed your modem runs at)
Correct

can you change the config file for a MAC address?
You don't change the config file for the MAC, you force your modem to use the config file you want, not what is assigned to the MAC your using.

Try it and see. At a guess, I would say they are useless.

By the name of the config file, there is a list in the sticky for Cable Modem Talk listing all of them and there speeds.

can someone please PM me and have a look at my MAC address to determine which UBR i am on?
Its not the MAC that tells the UBR, its a reverse DNS lookup. http://remote.12dt.com/

mac

so let me get this right,

u use DHCP for to look for MAC but only MAC's that are any good are the ones with config files and rest are useless. assuming you have all "light" MAC'S (light config file say 1mb ones) thyen you simply use that for the modem but once its up and running u can change the config file to force it use say a 10mb config.

is this correct?

was'nt it the case a while back that you had to look for silver, gold MAC's and gold were the ones with best bandwidth?

u can force any speed from a mac..the config file determines the speed..only way u can't is if u used bitfile on a moto sb 2 just change the mac..in that case u only get the speed of the mac u put in..

so let me get this right,

u use DHCP for to look for MAC but only MAC's that are any good are the ones with config files and rest are useless. assuming you have all "light" MAC'S (light config file say 1mb ones) thyen you simply use that for the modem but once its up and running u can change the config file to force it use say a 10mb config.
Doesn't matter what the cm file for the mac is, you now tell your modem to use the one you want.
Also, the macs you scan for, you cannot use. (I think you might know that already)

was'nt it the case a while back that you had to look for silver, gold MAC's and gold were the ones with best bandwidth?
I believe that used to be the case, but now you just force the 20mb config file on a mac that has a 2mb config file assigned to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
The config file for a ex TW area will be quite obvious and denoted by mb size. eg. cm-4096-384 (4mb) , CM-1024-384 (1mb) and so on...
As for ex NTL I'm not sure, perhaps someone else can answer.

thankss in advance

If you don't know your UBR click this link to find it out.
https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

thanks

thanks guys for all your answers its been really helpfull.

lastly, which one is easier/better to hack 250 or 200?

Back