BIOS/UEFI Location of BIOS chip on newer Dells 2014+

Hexadecimus

New Member ++
Reaction score
I'm trying to fix a couple of newer Dells which had bad BIOS flashes. It seems I'll need to hot swap with one good chip or get new ones pre-programmed. I'm not sure where the chips are on these laptops though.

They're both Inspiron 17" 5000 series. I can can try to find the exact model number, but so far I haven't seen it. Only service tags.

Thanks in advance!

I've done enough simple electronics that I could probably read a schematic if someone just has one of those to link or send me. Might save you some effort. :)

I've done enough simple electronics that I could probably read a schematic if someone just has one of those to link or send me. Might save you some effort. :)
It is the middle of the night so replies may be somewhat sparse! If you look at the board the chip might be a SOIC Flash IC or something like that.

Thanks for the reply. Middle of the night? That was just lunch time for me. It's not even midnight yet. ;)

One is still totally scrambled.

The other now appears to load to a power on password. I'm not sure if they tried to flash to get rid of this, failed, succeeded and the password stayed.. Depends how the BIOS and its updater are written, I guess. Might have left those blocks intact.

I guess I'll start a thread for a request on the passwd. For the borked one, I don't know. The only thing I see which looks remotely like a BIOS chip as I know them says Swapnet and is right next to the RJ-45. Google suggests maybe it's a voltage regulating IC.

I'm literally Googling every IC number on there right now.

Got her.

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

I don't know how I missed that one. It's nowhere near the battery though. Over by the WLAN flimsy insulator.. flimsulator? But this board will be choochin' again what fer only 20 Canuckistani rubles.

Hopefully the passworded one will actually boot once I get that take care of.||

Mods can close/lock thread if you do that on this board. Thanks. :)

Got her.

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

I don't know how I missed that one. It's nowhere near the battery though. Over by the WLAN flimsy insulator.. flimsulator? But this board will be choochin' again what fer only 20 Canuckistani rubles.

Hopefully the passworded one will actually boot once I get that take care of.||

Mods can close/lock thread if you do that on this board. Thanks. :)
The battery probably only keeps the real time clock running, anything like passwords will be stored in Flash nowadays :).

Back