Liverpool FC for sale.........

pwillo1982

DW Member +
Reaction score
Reds begin hunt for buyers

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11669_6096088,00.html

Broughton appointed new chairman of Premier League outfit

Gillett and Hicks: Ready to sell

Barclays Capital is to advise Liverpool on the sale of the club and Martin Broughton has been appointed as a new chairman at Anfield.

The debt-ridden Reds have been shrouded in uncertainty regarding the future of controversial co-owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett for the majority of the season, with reports linking numerous parties with a potential bid for the Premier League outfit.

Manager Rafa Benitez's status has been clouded by the financial insecurity on Merseyside and he has repeatedly been linked with a summer move to Serie A giants Juventus.

But the news that Barclays Capital and British Airways chairman Broughton have been brought in has been accompanied by an announcement from Hicks and Gillett that they want to sell.

A statement on Liverpool's official website read: "Following numerous expressions of interest from third parties, the club has engaged Barclays Capital to advise on the sale process. The club has the full support of its existing bankers for this process and has financing in place which will fully support the club's operations.

"Mr. Broughton, currently chairman of British Airways PLC and deputy president of the Confederation of British Industry, will work alongside the club's existing management team of Managing Director Christian Purslow, Commercial Director Ian Ayre and Financial Director Philip Nash."
Distinguished

Hicks and Gillett said in a statement: "Owning Liverpool football club over these past three years has been a rewarding and exciting experience for us and our families.

"Having grown the club this far we have now decided together to look to sell the club to owners committed to take the club through its next level of growth and development."

"We are delighted that Martin Broughton has agreed to take the position of chairman, working alongside the club's excellent senior management team.

"Martin is a distinguished business leader of excellent judgment and with a great reputation. He is a genuine football supporter and will seek to oversee the sales process in the best interests of the club and its supporters."

Broughton said in a statement: "I am excited and honoured to be taking up this position.

"Liverpool is a great club with a fantastic history. I will run this sale process in the right way, for the benefit of the club and its fans.

"Liverpool is one of the world's greatest clubs and my aim is to try and ensure that we find new owners who are able to build on the club's recent improved financial performance in order to help deliver sporting success."

Last edited:
Saw it earlier and thought....about bloody time. Lets hope the right decision is made this time.

"Having grown the club this far we have now decided together to look to sell the club to owners committed to take the club through its next level of growth and development."

Since when have they grown the club anywhere ?? we have gone backwards, selling every year to free money for transfers, ZERO investment..........good riddance :)

The sale of the club is already in motion mate, from last week a buyer from azerbayjan stepped in, so within 2 weeks liverpool will announce the new owner and Jose Murinho as the new manager.......

Jose Murinho was a deffinate weeks ago.......

about time really... c'mon glazers follow suit and sell up...

im a red through and through mate and along with everton, man utd are our biggest rivals, but i fookin hate what the yanks have done to both our clubs.....

hats off to the red knights.......

don't like the green and yellow though but i admire what it stands for....

The sale of the club is already in motion mate, from last week a buyer from azerbayjan stepped in, so within 2 weeks liverpool will announce the new owner and Jose Murinho as the new manager.......

Jose Murinho was a deffinate weeks ago.......

First i've heard ???

About bloody time we got rid of the y(w)anks they destroyed our club so I'm not sorry to see them leave and getting the special one in might be a good move too. I think the Kop and all involved will welcome him with open arms tbo.Hopefully next season we will get back to our best and have the likes of Stevie G and and his band of brothers getting back to their best football.

Back