Liverpool complete Torres signing

Baaheeduk

Inactive User
Reaction score
In a house with lots of alcohol on the go!!
Liverpool have signed Fernando Torres from Atletico Madrid on a six-year deal for a fee that could rise to £26.5m.
The 23-year-old passed a medical at Liverpool's Melwood training ground on Tuesday and returned to Madrid to say farewell to the Atletico supporters.

"The Liverpool offer arrived and I told the club to listen to that offer as that is the team I wanted to play for," said the Spanish international.

"It's one of the best, if not the best, club in Europe."

Report: BBC Radio Five Live's Jonathan Legard

Torres came up though the youth ranks at Atletico and has been their leading scorer in each of the last five campaigns, scoring 14 league goals in 36 starts last season as the side finished seventh in La Liga.

"It has been a difficult decision to leave my all-time club," he said.

I think Premiership is a football that adapts well to my style
Fernando Torres

"But it would have been hard for me to reject Liverpool's offer. It is a big leap for me and I think it was the right thing for everyone.

"The time comes in the life of a player that he needs more challenges.

"I have always done what was best for the club, too."

Torres will wear the number nine shirt worn by ex-Anfield forward's Ian Rush and Robbie Fowler.

His capture also shatters the £14m the Reds paid Auxerre for striker Djibril Cisse as the club's previous record signing three seasons ago.

Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez wanted to land Torres to provide a spearhead for an assault on the title.

"The fact that Liverpool are giving me the number nine jersey just goes to show the confidence they have placed in me, when considering those who have worn that shirt before me," said Torres.

"A new beautiful adventure begins for me and I hope that with work and effort I can be among the best players.

"This is a unique opportunity for me. Liverpool aspire to everything and that has been an important factor in my decision to go there.

"I want to adapt as quickly as possible. I think Premiership is a football that adapts well to my style.

"I will arrive with a lot of joy and ambition."

Villarreal's Diego Forlan has been lined up to replace Torres at Atletico in a £14.2m deal, while the Anfield club have recouped some of their outlay by selling Luis Garcia to Atletico for £4m.

The Reds are now expected to target Manchester United's 29-year-old defender Gabriel Heinze.

It may prove complicated, however, with fierce rivals Liverpool and United notoriously reluctant to sell players to each other.

But it is understood the Merseysiders have been given enough encouragement from Heinze's camp to pursue their interest.

Story from BBC SPORT:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/sport1/hi/football/europe/6239286.stm

Published: 2007/07/04 13:58:54 GMT

© BBC MMVII

Well Im glad they got him and I hope theres a few signings to follow.

Torres is done just another right winger would be just fine

Bring it on ya mancs

Well he could be the new Sheva!!!

YOU WILL NEVER WALK ALONE!!!! Torres.

LIVERPOOL LIVERPOOL LIVERPOOL

yep just need a right sided midfielder qand hope kewell is fit and we should be right up there this season competing for the premier league..

Not after if the Mancs get Tevez, thats by to the cup for one more season.

I believe we have enuff lefy sided player and need a decent right sided player.

My opinion why not go for shuan-wright-phillips, very good player and pacey, most of all get Tevez.... come on mascherano do your argentine tricks on him.

Back