Linux vs non linux + open source vs closed source?

emanresu

Inactive User
Reaction score
Can someeone explains in laymans terms the differences for a satelite receiver.Got a general idea of these from google and forums but not as a direct question.

Linux boxes offer a whole load of scope, flexibility, ease of use, easy setup and support, whereas a closed source box will do the job and thats it. A closed box tends to have support mainly from the manufacturer and setup etc depending on the box is very basic and the features are limited.

I would not personally bother with a closed source box.

Open-source STBs
PROS:
- They can be improved by any willing developer wishing to do so.
- Any developer and/or user can interact with each other to solve problems or create new features.
- If you manage to create the feature you want, you can virtually make anything with it.

CONS:
- Sometimes the "updates" are unstable, developers are not supposed to fix things overnight and they may take a long time.

Closed-source STBs
PROS:
- *Theoretically* they do what they say they do and you have a right to get things fixed in the shortest time possible.

CONS:
- They are purposely designed to prevent you from doing some things that are considered "dangerous" or virtually leading to illegal activities. For example, you cannot export your recordings onto a PC Desktop, beacause this could tempt you to burn them into DVD / BluRay and sell illegal copies of a film. Some manufacturers are stricter than others.

To cut a long story short, you may find way more difficult to get a Linux STB going, but once you have managed to get it going, you can't beat it !

Open-source STBs
PROS:
- They can be improved by any willing developer wishing to do so.
- Any developer and/or user can interact with each other to solve problems or create new features.
- If you manage to create the feature you want, you can virtually make anything with it.

CONS:
- Sometimes the "updates" are unstable, developers are not supposed to fix things overnight and they may take a long time.

Closed-source STBs
PROS:
- *Theoretically* they do what they say they do and you have a right to get things fixed in the shortest time possible.

CONS:
- They are purposely designed to prevent you from doing some things that are considered "dangerous" or virtually leading to illegal activities. For example, you cannot export your recordings onto a PC Desktop, beacause this could tempt you to burn them into DVD / BluRay and sell illegal copies of a film. Some manufacturers are stricter than others.

To cut a long story short, you may find way more difficult to get a Linux STB going, but once you have managed to get it going, you can't beat it !

That Statement i am sorry to say is completely untrue ask any Technomate,Blade,Spiderbox etc... owner and they will tell you they record to an external or internal on some hard drive and the file format can be tyransferred anywhere you like.

A closed source receiver can pretty much do what a linux one can regards the basics channel editing, cams, softcam keys, lines etc... what they cannot do is customise EPG,backdrops,Skins etc the general look and feel of it for instance.

It boils down to this if you like to Tinker get a Linux receiver if you want to just switch on and watch with the minimum of fuss get a closed source, I have both and both types have pros and cons

A closed source receiver can pretty much do what a linux one can regards the basics channel editing, cams, softcam keys, lines etc... what they cannot do is customise EPG,backdrops,Skins etc the general look and feel of it for instance.

IMHO this is false. Obviously it all depends on which STB you are talking about. I tell you some examples from my country (Italy):

- With my (Linux based, open-source) Azbox Premium I can stream the BBC HD signal onto VLC on my Vista Desktop and see the channel from my PC. With SKYITALIA MySkyHD I can't.

- With my (Linux based, open-source) Azbox Premium I can put a ts onto my Vista Desktop and edit it because it has been recorded unencrypted, with SKYITALIA MySkyHD I can't even see its internal HDD. Some guy managed to "open" it, physically extract its HDD connect it to the PC, found the files were encrypted and I don't remember whether he managed to decrypt it or not.

- Some STB "officially designed for TIVU" (the Italian DTT equivalent for UK Freeview) lets you record the program, but it is encrypted: either you see it in that STB or you can't see it in VLC, for example. IMHO these shortcomings are made on purpose.

I think the comparison is being lost in translation. The types of units being compared are those that do not have software specific to the service provider.

@Abu baniaz

Yeah I've perfectly understood the issue of this thread. On second thoughts, maybe I've let myself be carrried away a little too much from the issue at stake. Surely, it is unfair to compare SKY with Linux: providers DO hinder some functions of their boxes on purpose, though.

By "closed-source" this thread is meaning something like "Humax", "Topfield", "Vantage" or something like that, right? Free non-linux STB........

Before buying an Azbox I had a "Humax CI-5100X": it sure did its dirty work flawlessly, but I cannot even compare it to what an "Azbox with e2 on" can do now !!!

Maybe I'm making another mistake in trying to compare a "great-grandfather" like my Humax model and a "relative young baby" like my Azbox....... so maybe I'd better shut up, since I don't know a closed source stb as young as my Azbox to compare with.

No Closed source receivers to the satellite community in the UK are branded Technomate, Blade, Skybox, Openbox, Galaxy etc..

Back