Learn while brain is in cruise control

Mick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
You probably think I am mad, but I have been thinking lately (I know dangerous).

Why not learn while you are not learning, what I mean is the times when you are in your cruise control state.

Driving, instead of listening to music or the radio why not have a educational cd playing teaching you something you are interested in.

On a bus, tram, train, put on a educational MP3 or read educational topics.

I do not want to sound too deep, as I am not that intelligent for a start to be deep. However it intrigues me (the brain).

We allegedly use 10% of our brains but from reading topics on the net it sounds like we only use around 1% because most of the time we are in the cruise control state.

Have you ever driven somewhere and when thought about the journey wondered how the feck you got there. We do this all the time without even knowing it.

So whilst we are in that state why not try and listen to something that will increase your knowledge?

I also wonder about how are brain stores information, why do we forget things when we have 90% brain capacity unused?

Surely there is a better way to use our minds to store this information...

I'll get me coat lol

Mick

Got to be something worth trying . I suppose it would be kinda subliminal learning.

You've got me thinking now lol. I do a lot of driving so I might look at some of these language audio lesson things ;)

I loke the idea @Mick. I heard about a system called Mindstore a good few years back, and although I never attended, my younger brother did and it claimed to 'train' your brain to absorb & store information in a more efficient way. There are also times when your brain works more efficiently, have you ever noticed how you sometimes have a brilliant idea just as you're waking up or falling asleep? OK, I have! Well seemingly Mindstore taught you how to retain this 'super-thinking' state in waking (useful?) hours. So as you say, when your brain is in cruise mode it might well be more receptive.
I must ask him if he still attends the free refresher courses.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did language learning like this and still do. Put on the language CD on approach to the Chunnel and subconsciously absorb.

Seems to work but not a fecking clue why?

לחיות את החיים שלך

Erm, apologies to @Mick for my poor Hebrew ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
tried learning french while listening to CD in the CD, 2 x 30 min trips per day. It may be my advancing years or not my learning style but after 2 weeks I really hadn't learnt or remember much.

im with oneman, i listen to 100s of audiobooks when i am driving all manor of vehicles and i never remember the books ive done, example being a book i listened to only a couple of months ago had the next instalment released, i put it on and couldnt remember anything about the original plot.
Ive now had to re visit the original book and its like i have never read it.

concerning languages - you really need to want to learn a new language to actually pick it up. When i was at school they drummed it into us we had to learn french - being young i rebelled and hated it as it was so boring, to this day i really cannot bring myself to even try another language. I think they are now going about it a different way and making it more fun to learn the languages at primary school.

If i was to put an language cd on in the car i would probally crash the car, i need my brain to stay awake and not bored to sleep.
Just my take i know others have excellent results, my wife being one of them, she picked up spanish by listening to them in bed, i didnt pick up anything in the same room.

Back