Laptop/ notebook or netbook

stihl260

DW Top Poster +
Reaction score
hi All
Thinking or getting rid of my Acer aspire duel core as i feel its not up to the job anymore.
Bought it new with Vista new (what a load of crap), got rid of the OS and installed Media center.
Worked ok, but with some minor driver issues.
Clean install of Win 7 and its as slow as hell.
Yes i could upgrade the ram etc, but its still on old machine and the battery life has always been dire 1hr of your lucky.
So looking at getting rid.

We have a Fairly new desktop Acer quad core (fairly high spec) with Win 7 and the desktop gets used more than the lappy.

So Im wondering wether to get a Notebook, maybe a netbook.

It will ne mainly used for our 2 boys homework, the mrs when she dont want to sit at a desk.

The lack of optical drive wont bother me, as i have some 8gig flash drives and could always buy an external drive (cheap enough).

I wanted something better than the usual standard atom Netbook run of the mill , with a decent clear screen, excellent battery life and some Reliability.
Nothing on the cheap and nasty side please.

Win 7 is a must, i feel.

Used to be a big HP fan, but have noticed lots of faulty Netbooks on Ebay, just outside the 12 month warranty.

I did think about an Ipad, but seems alot of cash for what you get and for mainly net use is it up to the job?

Looked at Sony Vaio, we had one at work once, battery life was oustanding.

Looked at the Acer Ferrari one Netbook/notebook as it seems between the two and cant make its mind up what its supposed to be.

So recommendations please, personal ownership review would be great .

Thoughts please up to about £550

what about Dell mate, have you looked at anything they do....

im not up on laptops to be honest.

but i also got a acer years ago with vista and was very slow, i just upgraded the ram to as much as it could take and it works good now mate.

How about Dell M301z. 13" screen, resonable sized keyboard, good battery life and there is a dual core version as well for around £530 mark.

If you think a dual core laptop is slow then you can rule out a Netbook as it'll be far slower. I'm using one now wishing it was a dual core Acer ;)

For a mere £729 , you could get a Alienware M11x

Yep it had to happen ... alienware doing a netbook :FRIGHT:

s0zuol.png

PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ 2 Duo SU7300(1.3GHz,800MHz,3MB)

OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English

MEMORY 4096MB 800MHz Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM [2x2048]

HARD DRIVE 500GB (7,200rpm) Serial ATA Hard Drive

BLUETOOTH Dell Wireless 365 Bluetooth Module - European

Also included with your system
WIRELESS CONNECTIVITY Dell Wireless 1520 Half Mini Card (802.11n)
LCD 29.5cm (11.6") WideHD 1366x768 (720p) LCD
PRIMARY BATTERY 8-cell 63Whr Lithium Ion battery
GRAPHICS CARD 1GB GDDR3 NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 335M
Gedis Bundle Reference N10W1102
Order Information Alienware M11x Order - UK
Shipping Documents English Documentation
Power Supply 65W AC Adaptor
Cables UK 220V Power Cord
Keyboard Internal UK/Irish Qwerty Keyboard
AutoMatic Updates AutoMatic updates - On
Standard Warranty 1 year Next Business Day Hardware Support included with your PC
Hidden NamePlate Engraving Generic Name Plate Engraving
WALLPAPER Alienware 3D Wallpaper

And of course you get the option to upgrade components to make it really obscene :Biggrin2:

Always wanted a alienware pc, now maybe i may be able to afford 1.

@manx

Ps ... found this in another thread ... http://www.dell.co.uk/outlet ... worth a look.

Last edited:
hi if ur getting rid of one how much u looking for it??

And i have a hp which i brought i would say stay well clear of them after taking it apart to sort the gpu problem they have the fans are real crap...

i have a hp dual core and a zoostorm hp running vista and zoostorm running win 7 and for a single core laptop it is faster than the hp

Back