• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

laptop and router (internet issue's)

Napster

Global Moderator
Staff member
hi

got an netgear wgr614v7 router and a motorola 5100i both wirking fine untill i download a torrent (utorrents 1.61) at full speed 2.1mb a sec then lappy loses connection, to fix this i stop torrent it reconnects and away we go.

if i use news groups or rapidshare i dont get this problem, so which makes me think its something to do with connections im getting on torrents, is there anything i can do to stop this happening.

im still using utorrents 1.61 because there was issue's with the later versions given out info so i was told.

anyone shed any light on this issue.

oneman

VIP Member
VIP Member
Any difference if you have the modem plugged straight into your PC. If it does not fix the problem then the issue is with your ISP (possible), modem (unlikely) or PC (most likely).

Do you have port forwarding switched on on any of your torrent ports. I found that if other poeple could connect then it speeded things up.

Napster

Global Moderator
Staff member
port forwarding is set corectly, as said in post its only on torrents, it only seems to happen when there are lots of seeders.

techquest

Inactive User
I recall that 1.61 was rebuilt with an updated compiler to supposedley prevent known random crash's, which maybe it did'nt after all! That in mind maybe its time to update to 1.7.7 or even 1.8 beta

Napster

Global Moderator
Staff member
Nice one Napster can you let us know if it fixed the problem
installed 1.7.7 and i turned of port forwarding, selected use ramdom port on start up. downloaded same file and it came down fine will keep an eye on it to see how it gets on.

cheers for help chaps

Napster

Global Moderator
Staff member
update: had to turn port forwarding back on nothing would start, here are my settings.

edogg

VIP Member
VIP Member
just to let you know i have the same set up as you utorrent 1.7.7 motorola 5100 netgear wgr614v7 I use UpNp port mapping
add utorrent to firewall exceptions
I dont know how to port forward so i didnt

disable dht
dont allow peer exchange

a lot of sites insist on these last 2 settings

I have never lost a torrent as you describe

edogg

Napster

Global Moderator
Staff member
disable dht
dont allow peer exchange

a lot of sites insist on these last 2 settings
not sure what you mean could you post a screen shot please.