LAN vs Null modem cable

Tobycat

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi again,

I have heard that LAN is much faster than null modem cable for doing updates. What are the pro's and con's of each ?

I've got an ADSL 4-port router. I have the option of updating via my PC or via the Internet. Any recommendations ?

The null modem method works everytime and if ever have any problems flashing your dreambox than null modem is your best friend, only problem with the null modem is takes about 30 mins. The LAN method or the web interface method is not always guarnteed but it only takes 2-3 mins.

Hmm

Thx m8, sounds like you are saying LAN is less reliable. Is that because of the linux OS or some other reason ? I know LAN is used extensively in the business world. Interesting, I went to a PC shop and an electronics store (Dick Smith) and neither knew what I was talking about when I asked for a null modem cable. The cables seem to be less common nowadays.

I would go for the null cable mate. LAN although quicker as stated is not as reliable and if you have a bad flash where you can't get in to change the LAN settings the null cable will get you into the Dreambox via 'the backdoor' so to speak.

Slow and steady wins the race.

i only use null modem cable as a last resort for my recievers

i only use null modem cable as a last resort for my recievers

That's only because you know what your doing. Every time I try to change something I feck it up and have to re-flash! :)

OK, thx guys. Sounds like the null modem is more idiot proof. Just bought the cable today for A$10 (4 pounds), so here goes...

Back