Job/work related: How to Ask for a Pay Raise?

Persian

Inactive User
Reaction score
Guys this might be totally irrelevant but was wondering how to ask my employer for a pay raise?

It's been 2 years since working in the same company and still nothing, not even bonus...

I'm a graphic/web designer and developer, so I do hell of a lot in terms of responsibilities... from designing to developing all by every individuals that's working in the company... two years ago I joined the company and they offered me £x...

Just was wondering what's the appropriate way to ask for pay raise... and how should I put it in words... I appreciate any help :)

By the way I'm coming from computing background, graduated in computer science from Kingston Uni in 2011 and since then been working...

Also if anybody is looking to have their website redesigned, I'm up for it and just give me a shout :)

Cheers

Hi @Persian you don't say what sort or size of Company you work for, but I am assuming that it is a small to medium size privately owned company. Many of the "bosses" of such companies don't give wage rises until they are either asked for or there has been a huge success or contract gained, and even then many do not like being asked outright for a raise.
The way to circumvent this is to disguise the request.....................you could suggest that you have been employed for 2 years and that you have not had a Performance Appraisal / Job Review / Performance Evaluation / Development Discussion / Work Assessment (I have put all these titles which are exactly the same thing but different companies tend to use different phrases, so you can choose which suits your work place). You could also add that by having this appraisal that you can confirm in yourself that you are performing to the levels expected and that you wish to ensure that you are taking your work in the same dirrection that the Company wishes to go.
It is all Office/Business bulls**t but it is all about saying what they want to hear. The fact that you have directed your request in the direction of "for the good of the Company" you should receive an honest reveiw of how well you are doing and they should offer a "reward" for this, if no mention of a monetary gain, then that is the time to be forthright and simply state that as they are happy with your performance and your salary has not risen for 2 years but all of your outgoings have that it would be nice to be shown that you are apperciated in the form of a salary increase.
Good Luck !

Last edited by a moderator:
Back