Jeep Fat Fryer !!!

Penners

Inactive User
Reaction score
Well I’ve finally had the Jeep converted to run SVO (Straight Vegetable Oil)

I’ve been tinkering with the idea for a while and considered doing the conversion myself. Then after reading lots about common rail diesel engines, I decided I’d let the experts at Diesel Veg do it.

I travelled down to Wolverhampton for the day to have my conversion done. Dropped it off and nipped on the tram and had a cracking time in Birmingham. The canal side redevelopment was really nice with lots of bars and restaurants and it was the only day this year that the sun was shining all day. Which was good since I had about 8 hours to kill. Our lass also managed to find every shop twice !!!

Been stocking up on veg oil for the past three months managed to buy a load of Pura veg oil @ 56p a lire 350 of them in single litre bottles :)

So I’m now carbon neutral e.i the rapeseed plant consumes more carbon in its life cycle than it does when emitted after combustion and it’s a big AND I save a packet on today’s ever rising fuel costs can’t be bad.

I’ve just clocked over a 1000 miles on veg oil :)

Well I’ve finally had the Jeep converted to run SVO (Straight Vegetable Oil)

I’ve been tinkering with the idea for a while and considered doing the conversion myself. Then after reading lots about common rail diesel engines, I decided I’d let the experts at Diesel Veg do it.

I travelled down to Wolverhampton for the day to have my conversion done. Dropped it off and nipped on the tram and had a cracking time in Birmingham. The canal side redevelopment was really nice with lots of bars and restaurants and it was the only day this year that the sun was shining all day. Which was good since I had about 8 hours to kill. Our lass also managed to find every shop twice !!!

Been stocking up on veg oil for the past three months managed to buy a load of Pura veg oil @ 56p a lire 350 of them in single litre bottles :)

So I’m now carbon neutral e.i the rapeseed plant consumes more carbon in its life cycle than it does when emitted after combustion and it’s a big AND I save a packet on today’s ever rising fuel costs can’t be bad.

I’ve just clocked over a 1000 miles on veg oil :)

are you paying the duty on it m8 or just hoping you dont get your tank dipped?

Don't need to I can use 2500 litres per annum without paying any duty :)

which on my mpg it equates to about 15000 miles per annum duty free.

Check it out

just clocked that m8...2500 litres per year for personal milage.. nice 1 :Clap:

Yes the veg oil, biodiesel stuff 2500l per year tax free at least for now. But thats if you register. The catch is likely to be when they do tax it they know how much youve put in your records. Ofcourse if you can buy biodiesel close to you how do they know if the other people have paid the duty? No differnce in your and theirs.

just clocked that m8...2500 litres per year for personal milage.. nice 1 :Clap:

I couldn't believe it myself when I first read about it but I think its that hard for them to police it.

I can just imagine it if the laws change the police would have to have a Frying Squad :)

Can you imagine the Frying Squad running round dipping tanks with chips to test if veg oil is being used. :)

Yes the veg oil, biodiesel stuff 2500l per year tax free at least for now. But thats if you register. The catch is likely to be when they do tax it they know how much youve put in your records. Ofcourse if you can buy biodiesel close to you how do they know if the other people have paid the duty? No differnce in your and theirs.

mines not even biodiesel its just vegetable oil straight from the supermarket shelf and into the tank :) no mixing with nasty chemicals or anything.

just checked veg oil on tesco price checker .. its nearly a quid a litre ffs.
they werent long catching on to that were they?
couple of years ago a litre of veg oil was 36p

just checked veg oil on tesco price checker .. its nearly a quid a litre ffs.
they werent long catching on to that were they?
couple of years ago a litre of veg oil was 36p
I no it was only last week I got it at 56p :-( they have specials on so you've just got to keep your eye open but asda do 3 litre bottles at about 77p(checked last week so prob gone up) and you can get the big 20 ltr ones from macro.

Thinking about filtering some wvo but don't no if I can be bothered with the mess :)

How much for the conversion mate? im wanting this doing. Been looking for cheap veg oil but its not far off diesel prices!

I know you have a veg oil conversion just a little more info for every one else, but its been done lots on many forums I doubt if there anyone left that doesnt know really. By the way you do know about used veg oil? I get a small amount free every week that does for me.

I no it was only last week I got it at 56p :-( they have specials on so you've just got to keep your eye open but asda do 3 litre bottles at about 77p(checked last week so prob gone up) and you can get the big 20 ltr ones from macro.

Thinking about filtering some wvo but don't no if I can be bothered with the mess :)

yeah 77p....now 2.97

How much for the conversion mate? im wanting this doing. Been looking for cheap veg oil but its not far off diesel prices!
It was £1300 for mine if yours isn't a common rail it will be cheaper. DieselVeg install the ATG Kit. Which is widely used in germany.

yeah 77p....now 2.97

lucky I bought 350 ltrs @56p :)

although hopefully by the time I run out tesco will have the deal on again if not macro its for the 20ltr drums :)

if veg oil is 20p per litre cheaper than diesel (at the moment)
your 2500 litres of veg oil is £500 cheaper than diesel.
at £1300 for the conversion youd need to run the motor for nearly 3yrs to get a saving if you do 15000 miles a year.

is it worth the bother?

if veg oil is 20p per litre cheaper than diesel (at the moment)
your 2500 litres of veg oil is £500 cheaper than diesel.
at £1300 for the conversion youd need to run the motor for nearly 3yrs to get a saving if you do 15000 miles a year.

is it worth the bother?

I've just built a shed in the garden and plan to build a filtration system for wvo which I can get 50 plus litres per from a restaraunt owner I know but because I've managed to buy it so cheap I haven't bothered to set up the filtration system(its also reconmended to run on svo first for a while just incase theres any probs). Also I've already done a 1000 miles of driving @56p a ltr and have 350ltr sitting in shed so according to my calculations the system will pay for itself within one year. I plan on having the car for atleast 3 years so that should be 2 years of nearly completely free fuel. (common rail need a 2 two tank system and have to start up on diesel then it switches to veg)

Also fuel is rising all the time which will also shorten my payback time.

More importantly is this is a local resource which doesn't have to travell round the world to get to your door and it supports British farmers.

Lets put it another way we wouldn't be going to war over veg oil :)
Just checked booker and its at 81p ltr

are you paying the duty on it m8 or just hoping you dont get your tank dipped?

They only dip your tank for red m8, they'd be able to smell the veggie car as it would smell like a mobile chippy lol

:)

Q If you have the conversion can you still use normal diesel?

Yeah it has a small startup diesel tank in the boot its a 22ltr tank, I put £16 in about every 2 to 3 weeks.

Back