DVB - PC Cards Ixalons guide to dvb-c - Noobs please read!!!!

I HAVE A SETUP WITH A TECNOTREND BUDGET CARD FOR TELEWEST AND DID NOT HAVE TO BUY ANY Funcard programmer AND MINE WORK PERFECTLY

Nice guide Garlicbread!

What I didnt get was the benefit of using a Cam?

Does the soft Cam take a lot of CPU power or take longer to clear a channel on channel change?

I think Softcam might be more useful as most CI slots take another PCI slot (Floppy DTV is expensive - twice the price!!)

Would the list of hardware needed be as follows?

DVB-C card like TT-1501 (1500 seems to be no longer sold)
MM Funcard6 (this has more memory and can both reprogram the CAM and act as key card) - about £7
FunProgrammer USB £26 but needed to program the Funcard!
Joker Cam - can be got currently for around £20 as its not up to date like Trex/Dragon but it works still?

As you use MediaPortal can you use Softcam with that?

You answered your own question there! AFAIK Softcams take more CPU and longer to change channels etc. Also, I understand that AU is a right pain to setup with a softcam, plus the software used is no longer being developed... but I suppose you can cross that bridge when you come to it.

MCE won't use a softcam, unless you go via dvbsbridge which is limited to one tuner.

The FloppyDTV and the other DVB-C/CI cards take up an additional PCI slot, but there is a mounting bracket to mount the FloppyDTV in a 5" drive bay. Also, there is the FireDTV which is an external box connected by Firewire.

Floppy/FireDTV's and CAMs do add to the price, though, although the general consensus is that the FloppyDTV "just works" compared to the TT cards.

I have to say, the above comes from someone who's never tried TT Cards or Softcams :D

I started to do this 3 weeks ago.
I started with a TT C-1500 and Softcam, Never got Media Portal to work right and DVB Veiwer took an age to change channels. (Oh, Just to note the TwinHan Cab-CI is even worse than the TT 1500)
I'm now running a Floppy DTV C/CI & BlueZeta (Joker 0.79) and could not be happier.

Spend the extra now and save your self more hassle than anything, I was lucky and was able to sell the TT 1500.

MCE won't use a softcam, unless you go via dvbsbridge which is limited to one tuner.

I was not asking about MCE but MediaPortal which is a different application and much less restrictive.

Klutsch, why didnt you try the TT1500 with the Joker cam - no need for Softcam and no need to have bought the FloppyDTV?!???? Or did you try that? With mediaPortal?

Klutsch, why didnt you try the TT1500 with the Joker cam - no need for Softcam and no need to have bought the FloppyDTV?!???? Or did you try that? With mediaPortal?

I didn't have the CAM or Ci at the time I had the 1500. I got frustrated with it, always failing to tune into FTA channels.

I went to the Floopy DTV as the case I intend to use now wont house a full size PCI card.

Back