iPod itunes Help

hatab

VIP Member
VIP Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
i am new to itunes and its not the most intuitive of software's ever written. what i want to try and do is put my music library into i tunes and use itunes as the player on the pc, which seems to work ok.

now the library size is large and the ipod size is significantly smaller so i want to be able to choose what is synced to the ipod and what isnt.

the only options seem to be manually manage music and video the other option is only checked items.

if i select manually manage it seems to remove everything on the ipod when i connect it up and i have to sync it with the button and wait for it all to go back on.

if i choose only ticked, how do i get stuff off the ipod (listened and want something different) without removing completely from the library ?

whether i am trying to do something the software cant do or i am looking at this all wrong i am not sure but any pointers would be gratefully recieved.

ps the itunes help is cack too

i am new to itunes and its not the most intuitive of software's ever written. what i want to try and do is put my music library into i tunes and use itunes as the player on the pc, which seems to work ok.

now the library size is large and the ipod size is significantly smaller so i want to be able to choose what is synced to the ipod and what isnt.

the only options seem to be manually manage music and video the other option is only checked items.

if i select manually manage it seems to remove everything on the ipod when i connect it up and i have to sync it with the button and wait for it all to go back on.

if i choose only ticked, how do i get stuff off the ipod (listened and want something different) without removing completely from the library ?

whether i am trying to do something the software cant do or i am looking at this all wrong i am not sure but any pointers would be gratefully recieved.

ps the itunes help is cack too

You can't transfer music from ipod back to PC if that's what you're trying to do.

itunes only lets you sync what is in your PC library, if you select manually manage music and dump stuff on your ipod and delete it from your PC you can't move it back.

When you manually manage music and the ipod is hooked up, under XXX's Ipod select music and then highlight what you want to remove and hit delete, this will free up space to put more stuff back on

There are two music tabs on the left, one is your library and one shows when the ipod is connected.

If you don't have manually manage music ticked it will always sync exactly what you have in your itunes library so if you add remove something from here it will be added removed from you ipod

There are alternatives to itunes which allow you to drag music back from your ipod to your PC if you don't want to store all your music on your pc

I think this is what you were asking!!

@ms2005 thanks for the reply

my library is bigger than the ipod so it looks like i will need to use manually manage simply cos itunes will cough once hdd is full on ipod.

i don't have a problem with data as its all on my server, so putting on off is not an issue the itunes software and connection to ipod is on a client pc so the itunes library just points to my servers data locations.

it seems if the itunes software is set to manually manage every time i connect the ipod is copies all the data to the ipod rather than just copy what has changed.

the reason i want to put stuff on /off is i listen to audiobooks in the car and once ive heard it i want it off the ipod but not necessarily off the itunes library, it seems the itunes software will only let me take the data off the ipod if i remove it from the library too.

fortunately ive only got 7 or 8G in the ipod so it doesn't take too long to copy it back.

@slyboy i may have a look at that if i cant sort the itunes stuff, i/we have a philips mp3 player from few years back and the software for that is pathetic, i have a copy of sveta part of dbpoweramp for the philips and it just works they do a driver for ipod as well.

@ms2005 thanks for the reply

my library is bigger than the ipod so it looks like i will need to use manually manage simply cos itunes will cough once hdd is full on ipod.

i don't have a problem with data as its all on my server, so putting on off is not an issue the itunes software and connection to ipod is on a client pc so the itunes library just points to my servers data locations.

it seems if the itunes software is set to manually manage every time i connect the ipod is copies all the data to the ipod rather than just copy what has changed.

the reason i want to put stuff on /off is i listen to audiobooks in the car and once ive heard it i want it off the ipod but not necessarily off the itunes library, it seems the itunes software will only let me take the data off the ipod if i remove it from the library too.

I'll have a look at this mate, my iPhone is set to manually manage and my iPod is set to sync all but when I do the former it only changes new stuff for me, if nothing has changed the sync takes less than a minute to check.

Back