It seems to be official : further traffic shaping from virgin anything P2P (usenet)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: It seems to be official : further traffic shaping from virgin anything P2P (usene

only if you hit a certain limit during certain points of the day. if you're getting throttled for "nothing" - then there's something wrong. maybe your MAC is being cloned? wireless signal stolen? fault on the line? you've pissed off an operator with your "I DEMAND THIS" attitude - could be any number of things.

MAC addres is beyond my control, wireless is very secure, fault on line? like what? speed tests work fine, newsgroups dont.

i dont have an "i demand this attitude" and i havent spoken to any operators lately.

no, i don't. it's inflation. However, it might increase at a slower rate?

what are you on about,what has that got to do with anything i said, i was simply stating the excuse, not whatever possible real reason behind it.

I think there's probably cause for this, or atleast make things clearer - mainly to stop pedantic people nitpicking every slight issue and making it into massive problems. i think common sense should rule and don't take things at face value and if i abused anything too much (BB, alcohol, cracking one off, etc) i'd expect some sort comeback for my actions.

pedantic? unlimited broadband thats throttled at certain times, limited on downloads and bandwidth on certain services, between certain times and for certain amounts of time.

whats pedantic about that?

what the feck has BB got to do with abusing alcohol or cracking one of (although i can see what you mean about the latter as at the moment your coming across as a right w@nker)

however, if we didn't have something to moan about - we wouldn't be british. now, where's my safety smiley so i don't upset anyone.... ;)

well it appears your not british as according to you we cant moan about anything, we should all take it up the arse like you. Take you pretentious, biggotted comments off the thread bud, and let us moaners have something to moan about as clearly your over the moon with everything.

no smilies from me, its all sincere.

on a side note (by the way where is the ignore button now?) they have managed to get something like 845mbps over traditional copper wire recently, read it on endgadget, that should make things much better, and also i`m sure virgin where testing 400mbps network connections over powercables as well.

BT is one of the main reasons why broadband costs so much , as no matter what broadband you have at somepoint it goes over BT`s fibre,

Last edited:
Re: It seems to be official : further traffic shaping from virgin anything P2P (usene

I downloaded absolutely nothing yesterday, and set some downloads going at 10pm (off peak) and was getting 1-2mb out of a 20mb connection. I checked the connection and was getting higher speeds when not using usenet.....so it's either Virmin throtling Usenet or there was an issue with the news servers.

Not happy though. I'll see how it goes, and then dump them if it continues

Last edited:

ok guys lets calm down and not make any personal comments please, i dont want to have to give out any infractions or close yet another thread!

ok guys lets calm down and not make any personal comments please, i dont want to have to give out any infractions or close yet another thread!

LOL...tutt these bloody threads these days hahah
i reckon we are all getting a bit peeved with the darkness outside and christmas looming ....brings out the worst in us

It seems to me af if they have changed their policy towards newsgroups, it used to be just general capping IF you broke the limit during capping hours and it lasted 5 hours. Now if I try to download anything from newsgroups during capping hours then it is capped immediately...wasn't it supposed to be the top 5% of downloaders that got capped.

I download most things in the morning and get what I want fine at full speed but the point being made here is that they are NOT standing by what they told us...I never received any letter or email regarding this policy change.

Do I hate VM for this...NO, they are streets ahead of the competition and the ONLY reason I have not gone to Sly.

I do however think they are trying to wipe our eyes by claiming one thing and doing something completely different.

untill bt have fully rolled out 40mb and 10mb up unlimted aswell
we see wot virgin do wen its fully rolled out in few years

virgin are already trailing 200mb and technology supports upto 400mb.

BTW BT inifinity has 300GB a month cap.

I downloaded absolutely nothing yesterday, and set some downloads going at 10pm (off peak) and was getting 1-2mb out of a 20mb connection. I checked the connection and was getting higher speeds when not using usenet.....so it's either Virmin throtling Usenet or there was an issue with the news servers.

Not happy though. I'll see how it goes, and then dump them if it continues

10pm is within the bandwidth shaping timeframe which ends at midnight. Download cap stops at 9pm.

It seems to me af if they have changed their policy towards newsgroups, it used to be just general capping IF you broke the limit during capping hours and it lasted 5 hours. Now if I try to download anything from newsgroups during capping hours then it is capped immediately...wasn't it supposed to be the top 5% of downloaders that got capped.

I download most things in the morning and get what I want fine at full speed but the point being made here is that they are NOT standing by what they told us...I never received any letter or email regarding this policy change.

Do I hate VM for this...NO, they are streets ahead of the competition and the ONLY reason I have not gone to Sly.

I do however think they are trying to wipe our eyes by claiming one thing and doing something completely different.

Just to clarify this again,

Bandwidth shaping, QoS, STM, call it what you will is new and in effect from 5pm to midnight week days, midday to midnight weekends. Using a combination of deep packet inspection and source IP filter, usenet and non-game P2P traffic is being limited to 25% or below of available bandwidth on a national network if national network gets overloaded. So if there is low national traffic then no throttling takes place. Once network becomes saturated then usenet and P2P will take a back seat.

Download volume caps have been around for a while. Depending on your package, you will have a download limit (regardless of the type of download) between 9am and 3pm and again 4pm to 9pm. 50mb are not capped by volume for the time being. This is based on your usage, not national traffic levels.

Finally as VM upgrade upload capacity, there is going to be upload capping at peak period. Again based on your usage, not national levels.

All this can be found here if your upload has not been increased,

Our traffic management policy

And here if your upload has been increased,

Traffic Management - Faster uploads

Just to clarify this again,

Bandwidth shaping, QoS, STM, call it what you will is new and in effect from 5pm to midnight week days, midday to midnight weekends. Using a combination of deep packet inspection and source IP filter, usenet and non-game P2P traffic is being limited to 25% or below of available bandwidth on a national network if national network gets overloaded. So if there is low national traffic then no throttling takes place. Once network becomes saturated then usenet and P2P will take a back seat.

Download volume caps have been around for a while. Depending on your package, you will have a download limit (regardless of the type of download) between 9am and 3pm and again 4pm to 9pm. 50mb are not capped by volume for the time being. This is based on your usage, not national traffic levels.

Finally as VM upgrade upload capacity, there is going to be upload capping at peak period. Again based on your usage, not national levels.

All this can be found here if your upload has not been increased,

Our traffic management policy

And here if your upload has been increased,

Traffic Management - Faster uploads

I was quite capable of understanding it the 1st time, so just to clarify my post again.

They never informed me of any change in policy, either by snail mail or email, I am a long standing paying customer so it would have been nice to have been informed in any policy change.....so that is what I meant by them saying one thing and doing another. So we have absolutely no way of telling if national traffic is low or high and just have to accept their word on it. I reckon they will always say it is high during those times.

same again, forgive me for being pedantic but heres your new upload speed..................................................................but where capping it.

so all those things you COULD do with the increased upload , you cant or are even more limited than before the speed increase.

would this not be a change in your terms and conditions and you would be eligable to get out early (not much point as for quality they are the best BB) but i fear this is just the start.

personally, i`d rather just have 10meg fully uncapped broadband than have severely cvapped higher speeds.

simple as that, but that doesnt sounds as appealing does it : 10 megabyte unlimited broadband @ £50 a month.

or

50meg / 100 meg broadband @ £50 or £100 a month

small print reads (where gonna cap yo ass so you can only download what you could on a 10meg connection anyway)

and what happens when everyone leaves there PC on overnight to download..............lol

If you read their terms and conditions, like you are supposed to do when signing up with them, they are free to do what they want when they want and for how long they want, and we have all agreed to it, and they don't have to tell you jack shit.

it was more of a rhetorical statement really. Im happy with my service from them, miffed of this extra encumberment though, but what can i do? nothing.

im just wondering (out loudly) if there is anything that can be done to get round this. Its on the packet level (PDU) so ssl / port number, server address aint gonna help one bit.

oneman, whats your thoughts?

it was more of a rhetorical statement really. Im happy with my service from them, miffed of this extra encumberment though, but what can i do? nothing.

im just wondering (out loudly) if there is anything that can be done to get round this. Its on the packet level (PDU) so ssl / port number, server address aint gonna help one bit.

oneman, whats your thoughts?

If its usenet you are talking about, then you can use SSL to hide the type of data you are downloading. And there are several usenet providers that support SSL. The problem is that probably 50 IP address cover 95% of the usenet providers so its easy for them to throttle data from those addresses.

The way around it is use SSL inconjunction with a proxy which will hide were the data is coming from and also the type of data. The problem is there are very few proxies that support connections of mb let alone tens of mb.

If you read their terms and conditions, like you are supposed to do when signing up with them, they are free to do what they want when they want and for how long they want, and we have all agreed to it, and they don't have to tell you jack shit.

are u richard branson in disguise ?
cos if u are .....
"STOP ROBBIN ME AND TELLIN ME LIES !! ASS !!"

Thread closed before it get's out of hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back