Software is windows 10 still free ?

Hi,

Did you upgrade from the version of Windows already installed on your laptop or do a fresh install?

I work for an IT Company and regularly had laptops from our clients that wanted to take advantage of the free upgrade to Windows 10 (this offer expired July 2016) but they also wanted a nice clean install. The process we had to follow was do an in-place upgrade first either via windows update or using the upgrade tool from Microsoft, this flagged the key currently installed on the machine as now being a Windows 10 valid key.

We then wiped the laptops, reinstalled Windows 10 as a fresh install and used the key from the base of the machine to activate it.

This would only work if you were upgrading to same edition as Windows, e.g. Windows 7 Home Premium to 10 Home Premium, 7 Pro to 10 Pro etc. You may have to google to find out which upgrade (if any) you were eligible for.

I no longer know of any workarounds, but I do know it would work with an upgrade and only from one version of windows to the equivalent on Windows 10.

It is but only on the device you upgrade on, when it dies, it's gone, you can't transfer the license

Back