Is it really that easy? Apple TV [N00b thread]

dibbers

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Right, just back after speaking with some one and they mentioned "Apple TV" and that they paid around about £170.00 for it, what he was explaining to me though sounds amazing, Can that really be true, so everything is there for you to watch and record if you want?

He says he didn't ask any questions when he bought it, Sooo I would presume that it's been jailbroken? or am I barking up the wrong tree with that one?

Any pointers, been a massive fan of android but after chatting with him today then "Apple TV" sounds the muts.......

its true but to experience it without any cash outlay first just download xbmc (thats what loaded onto the atv2) to your pc at home and install navi-x, you can then see exactly what you get on a jb apple tv.

i wouldnt pay the apple tv prices either, its been ported to Android and linux boxes, so it'll be able to be chucked on much cheaper boxes soon.

[h=1]PIVOS XIOS DS Android 4 TV box[/h]
is andriod but they have just done a beta linux build for this andriod box, once its been sorted properly then it will be able to be ported easy enough to most boxes.

Last edited:
nice one thanks for the heads up on that.

I'm interested in this now since I have a PS3 under each T.V....

Going to check it out. (oh and I'll have a look at that for the revo as well as have xbmc on there.....ps3 will be good though.!)

18-08-201219-29-04.jpg

Last edited:
you've got the revo mate, just set it up dual booting with win7 and xbmc, why do you think you need an apple tv when your revo will do it and is a perfect device for xbmc!

I know but you got to have a mess on and that with the latest stuff, I mean there I was getting told about "apple tv" and the like and I was gutted that I hadn't even heard or looked into it.....

I have a PS3 that sits in one of the spare rooms, so be good to get it working on there,

I'll have a go at the revo so might as well get it working on the media sever and that can do both machines.

To be honest haven't used the revo once yet you know that to watch a movie back....it sits as a server doing what servers do.....lol

Last edited:
Right so I have downloaded SharkHunter Build 43 (Update 12-04-29) and have that installed on the revo, And I have also downloaded pmsencoder-1.6.1.jar and have put that in the plugins folder and have re-started it.

Now on the PS3 I run media server and there's a few more options, like "jumpy" now it says

"navi-x content available through ps3 media sever + pms encoder + channel plugin by sharkhunter....."

What should I be looking for in the menus on the ps3..... I don't see a pms encoder folder/option?

(threads kind of turned into a ps3 help thread..lol sorry about that)

18-08-201221-22-47.jpg

and here's the ps3 but as you can see from the plugin folder above seem to be missing a few?

IMG_0183.jpg

Last edited:
Well I'm close but no cigar......think I'll make a cup of coffee, un-install it and have another go at it.

Can get to the movies and the like, but says "file corrupt" hmmmmmmmmmm

IMG_0186.jpg

IMG_0185-1.jpg

IMG_0183-1.jpg

woo hoo got it working.

I'll do a write up when I get a minute and it's all fresh in my head.

here is navi-x all working.....:coolafro:

IMG_0192.jpg

IMG_0191.jpg

IMG_0190.jpg

whats this navi x about mate, is it just a streamer for the ps3, take it you need a pc to transcode the files to ps3 format, what exactly is its purpose iv never heard of it before!

well navi-x is just one of the many channels that you can have.

I only looked into it after it was mentioned earlier in the thread and nearly went out and bought an "apple TV"

Navi-X is a "content aggregator" app that provides access to all kinds of multimedia content, listed on a public directory of user contributed listings or playlists for playing on your TV or PC! Users can link to content and playback video, audio, pictures, podcasts, text, rss and html on the internet and share it with people around the world in seconds! Create fully customizable playlists with backgrounds, logos and icons as well as link to your favorite multimedia on the internet or browse the already existing directory of publicly available content, in one sleek, fast and unified application! Navi-X is a multi-platform addon for XBMC and Boxee, popular and free media center applications available on Windows, Mac, Linux, Apple TV and the original Xbox (modified). We also are always looking to put a flavor of Navi-X on any platform we possibly can.

and yeah, pc and the like to be able to demux and all that the streams, and of course so you can download and install ps3 media server.

I'll go and do some more testing in a minute with the other channels but there's loads of them like. loads and loads.

Thanks so much guys this is an excellent service what ive just found out about through this thread got this set up on my pc now and chuffed and very surprised at the amount of movies and series available.

how are you getting on with navi-x and the movies that are available.

I have mine set up on the revo and have downloaded and run the codec pack so I have been looking at the log and I'm getting a few "corrupt errors" (which means that I'll have to scroll through the logs and see what's what)

Other movies play and series etc. but I'm thinking it might be the mk films and movies that it's struggling on, might set it up on a faster machine rather than the revo in case it's something to do with the processing/speed etc.

How did you get on with "rtmpdump" and where did you get your "channel" list from? did you (rtmpdump.force = true) in your config mate?

Thanks mate.

got "navi-x" working on the revo with "xbmc" it's quite neat! looking forward to getting it going on other devices.

here navi-x theread

Last edited by a moderator:
Back