IP adreess

AJT

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi guys nice simple question but i dont know it.
If you have 2 boxes on the same network will the IP address of each box be different.?
never had 2 boxes at one time see....

cheers

Yes

Sent from my Xolo_X900 using Tapatalk 2

It has to be different mate, if your router is set to allow DHCP it will deal with it. Although if I were you id have them both on static IP's outside the routers DHCP table.

"both on static IP's outside the routers DHCP table."

Whats this mean in i aint got a clue terms..
thanks.

"both on static IP's outside the routers DHCP table."

Whats this mean in i aint got a clue terms..
thanks.

On your routers LAN page it will give show its ip address and the range it gives out ip address with usually 192.168.1.1-192.168.1.255,
you should be able to change the end of the range to something like 192.168.1.100,then assign your box an ip above that like 192.168.1.101 etc,

Personally I like to leave DHCP enabled on my devices,once they have received their ip address you can then go into most routers settings, and assign that ip address permanently to each device through its mac address

On your routers LAN page it will give show its ip address and the range it gives out ip address with usually 192.168.1.1-192.168.1.255,
you should be able to change the end of the range to something like 192.168.1.100,then assign your box an ip above that like 192.168.1.101 etc,

Personally I like to leave DHCP enabled on my devices,once they have received their ip address you can then go into most routers settings, and assign that ip address permanently to each device through its mac address

okay i get it know i have been onto my router page and seen what you are referring too.
as i only intend to use one box at a time ie one for day and one for night i am leaving stuff alone and just use box IP to communicate.
many thanks.

I used to avoid meddling with IP addresses myself mt but nowadays I do exactly as wiz suggested in his last paragraph.

It's pretty simple once you have done it a couple of times and guarantees your IP address will never change on your box as it is static, very handy knowing where to ftp to and a must for other purposes.
I also assign IP addresses to various wireless devices, iPhones and the like as there's so many coming in and out these days they are constantly battling for an IP lol.

I used to avoid meddling with IP addresses myself mt but nowadays I do exactly as wiz suggested in his last paragraph.

It's pretty simple once you have done it a couple of times and guarantees your IP address will never change on your box as it is static, very handy knowing where to ftp to and a must for other purposes.
I also assign IP addresses to various wireless devices, iPhones and the like as there's so many coming in and out these days they are constantly battling for an IP lol.

Cheers very much.

What's been explain here by allowing the router to lease a IP to a mac address permanently is exactly the same as assigning a static IP.

Makes not real difference the IP been in or out of the DHCP table the IP can still not be used by other equipment so becomes a static.

What's been explain here by allowing the router to lease a IP to a mac address permanently is exactly the same as assigning a static IP.

Makes not real difference the IP been in or out of the DHCP table the IP can still not be used by other equipment so becomes a static.

Except you can do it all sitting in front of your router rather then at each device individually ;)

Plus there has been times when trying to flash a box it wont find the ip if set to static in the network settings,not very often but it does happen :)

Slightly off topic Some routers allow time restrictions on MAC addresses, if I remember Edimax and Zyxel do this. Now if your sick of your children and grandchildren on line all night with their laptop/mobiles/tablets/game consoles etc then it's simple to look up their MAC address (when they are on line) and set a time restriction. I did this I set the time for the net to be available to them from 10am to 10pm and told them the internet goes off at 10pm.
Well they thought I was joking until it switched them all off at 10.
Note this works on individual MAC addresses so your laptop, sat receiver still continues to work.

Except you can do it all sitting in front of your router rather then at each device individually ;)

Plus there has been times when trying to flash a box it wont find the ip if set to static in the network settings,not very often but it does happen :)

We all have are own way I guess.

But if you flash a box it wont be set to static it will be default DHCP ;)

All I do is flash allow it to boot go into networks settings your DNS settings will be there so just change the IP in my case outside the dhcp range and save.

Either was its a static IP just a different approach to getting it.

What I do is set my router to issue a fixed ip address to my VU solo and leave the solo set for DCHP.
It works for me.

Back