Installing SATA pci card problems

deedie

DW Regular
Reaction score
when i put this card into the pci slot, it only loads as far as a screen that says

detecting drives please wait

lists my dvd drives

press <tab> for user screen (or something like that)

doesnt go any further, any ideas guys???

couldnt do this.]

when the card is plugged into the motherboard my keyboard wont work. it does not respond to any key strokes so i cant access the bios on boot up to change the boot device to hdd.

keyboard works fine when the card is unplugged, very strange. any ideas??

sata pci card problem

Best thing to do, is try pci card in another slot, or if you can to remove other cards in there that you are not using, it looks like you have an irq problem, sometimes two cards using the same device (irq). this should happen on new computers but sometimes does.

I would remove other cards if different slot doesnt work and see if problem with keyboard is sorted.

regards

changed slots and the keyboard will now allow me to press the tab key when it loads to the screen in my first post.

but will not allow me to press ESC or DEL at boot up to be able change the boot device.

sata pci card problems

Do you have a HDD connected to pci card, and when it boots up do you see the drive listed, if your trying to boot from this drive, do you have an os on it (windows XP).

are you looking in the bios to change drive boot options?

If you are and you hav'nt checked above, you won't be able to change anything.

Make sure card displays HDD and it should give size of drive and drive letter

then if there is an os on it and its bootable you may be able to boot from it.

could your keyboard be fecked ??? ive seen this happen a few times and its the last thing people think of.

no the keyboard aint fecked, first thing i thought of. it just wont allow me to press any buttons at start up with pci card plugged in.

no the keyboard aint fecked, first thing i thought of. it just wont allow me to press any buttons at start up with pci card plugged in.

well youve answerd your own question there really, obviously theres summit in your system that is conflicting with the pci card, very unusual, but i guess it can happen, i think you said you tried a different pci port, so it cant be that, and it cant be the part of the motherboard that controls the pci slots, so its either a duff pci card or a conflict, i know this isnt the ideal thing your wanting to hear, but have you tried another pci card mate ??? if you have and still the same, then you'll need to suss out what the conflict is, LOL, if thats the case i would just quickly reinstall windows with the pci in its slot and it should hopefully sort its self out.

Let us know how ya get on matey :)

Back