Im keen to join in the fun on this discussion but..

wenglishboy

Inactive User
Reaction score
hi all im keen to join the gang but i would like suggestions on what piece of kit to invest in. I have a small form factor dell inspiron running along side my 42inches of pure pleasure ;) could anyone tell me what tv card i should be looking at buying and where i can get them from. its a dvb-c im after, any advice would be gratefully appreciated. Although i would like a cheap one if the expensive ones are easy to configure/manipulate then i would be persuaded to go down that avenue as im an absolute noob to this. thnks peeps

just getting into it myself but i think the most support is for the skystar 2

cheers for response. could you tell me are we talkin about usb version or a pci version to fit my small form factor. will do some more reading

Why not just go for somethng like a Dreambox or Dbox2, they offer similar features as a DVB card but are much simpler to setup and use.

Ignore me if you are looking for a project etc, coz DVB is brilliant. :)

hi all im keen to join the gang but i would like suggestions on what piece of kit to invest in. I have a small form factor dell inspiron running along side my 42inches of pure pleasure ;) could anyone tell me what tv card i should be looking at buying and where i can get them from. its a dvb-c im after, any advice would be gratefully appreciated. Although i would like a cheap one if the expensive ones are easy to configure/manipulate then i would be persuaded to go down that avenue as im an absolute noob to this. thnks peeps

the best card by far is the floppydtv (internal) firedtv (external)

cheers

what about support for the floppy keys etc will it work with the diablo? can you use flycccam or simular thanks

what about support for the floppy keys etc will it work with the diablo? can you use flycccam or simular thanks

diablo cam - don't know
hardcam works with icecrypt (0.79) joker cam and smartcard
softcam - vplug

cheers

I will backup neathdrew comments. Fabulous card, despite being a tad on the expensive side.

thnks guys for your help. would like to go down the floppy internal routebut like i said it has to be small form factor. will check to see whats available

afaik there are no sff dvb-c or dvb-s cards - which would leave u needing an external solution - such as the firedtv range

thnks for all your help. in answer to earlier question about why i dont just get a dox2 or dreambox its because i have had a dox2 and am currently using a different box now and wish to pass it on to the kids to use in front room with Asdas much cheapness tv. I am looking for a card to go with my pc which sits next to my not so much cheapness tv. firedtv search it is then. Its a pity theres none capable of fitting in a small form factor im sure there will be soon as i assume these are the sort of pc's people want sitting next to the LCD on the wall. not a chunky mo fo which takes up as much room as my kids much cheapness asda tv does lol.

Ive had a look at these things now and i see a card slot. does this mean i need to buy a card writter if im thinking of going down this route or is it similar to the norm and a flash the box system exists pls, im worried now cause i have no idea when it comes to cards etc

Last edited:
depends on how u do it -u could use a softcam - these are more fragile than a card based system - but they are a lot cheaper - depends on how much u want to get into the more technical side or if you just want to watch tv

e.g. a firedtv is about £200, a cam will set you back £20-30 and if you donhave a programmer is around £15 - then u will need a card, I'd recommend a mosc as otherwise you will have problems when the keyroll method changes (same problem as a softcam)

as u can see it soon mounts up - thats around £220 per tuner - with a softcam you are looking at £80 per tuner

if u can find a riser board for your case then u may be able to fit full hieght cards in it - depends on the motherboard and case

Back