huntley in coma after suicide attempt

Zooropa

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Soham murder accused Ian Huntley is in a coma after an apparent suicide bid.
Sources said he was found having a fit in his cell in the early hours of this morning after taking an overdose of anti-depressants at one of Britain's top security prisons.
An investigation has been launched, focusing on the suspicion that the 29-year-old had stored up his prescribed medication.
Huntley was charged with the double murder of schoolgirls Holly Wells and Jessica Chapman last August, and had been on suicide watch since his last court appearance, when he denied the killings.
He was discovered fitting in his cell by officers at Woodhill prison, Buckinghamshire - who had orders to check him every 15 minutes. He was in a coma by the time he arrived at hospital, at about 4am. Prison Service officials asked the hospital not be identified amid security fears.
Harry Fletcher, of the National Association of Probation Officers, said he had learned from sources that Huntley had overdosed on the anti-depressants, which he had accumulated and hidden in tea bags in his cell.
Mark Leech, editor of the Prisons Handbook, said: "Even in a coma I wouldn't be surprised to find three officers around his bed and even him handcuffed. It's not only preventing him from escaping but it's also because of the uproar this case has caused."
An early report on the investigation is expected by Friday. Mark Freeman, deputy general secretary of the Prison Officers Association (POA), said a recent change in prison procedures could have given Huntley his chance.
He said: "This will no doubt be an embarrassment for the Prison Service and the Government. They will be looking for someone to blame and the chances are that it will be some poor wing officers who unfortunately have been dispensing medication that, in our opinion, they are not medically trained to do."
Officers have to hand out drugs after medical officers have left prisons at night, he said, adding that the changes had come into force in recent months.

i was thinking the exact same thing......:mad:

Suicide attempt.

Morning all,
I do,nt usually comment on things as serious as this however having been a caretaker my self for quite a few years I am still puzzling out how on earth someone like this chap ever got to be a caretaker in the first place --having read about his earlier years I would have thought he would have been considered a risk (at least) to children.At the end of the day a lot of questions need answering.
Perhaps we are fortunate here that wigan education take their responsibilities seriously and do a proper check on people wanting to work with --or near children.
cheers big-arth

i agree with country here, this guy wants to die... its the easy way out :(

let him rot in prison forever and never come out !!!!! (as long as he does never come out !!!)

UPDATE

Ian Huntley, charged with the Soham schoolgirl murders, has been released from hospital and taken back to prison following his apparent suicide bid.
A Home Office spokesman said he was returned to Woodhill Prison, near Milton Keynes, where he would be placed back under a prison "suicide watch
The spokesman had no further information on Huntley's condition but said that "he would not have been released from hospital if there were any risk to his health".
Huntley was admitted to hospital early on Monday after what the Prison Service said was "an incident of serious self harm"
Newspapers reported the former school caretaker had taken an overdose of anti-depressant pills.
The hospital said earlier that Huntley had had a comfortable night and that his condition had improved since Monday. It described his medical condition as "comfortable".
Huntley has pleaded not guilty to murdering 10-year-old friends Holly Wells and Jessica Chapman whose bodies were found in woodland after they vanished last August.
The families of Holly and Jessica said in a statement they were being kept informed of developments. "We are now reassured to hear that he is still expected to stand trial at the Old Bailey in October," they said
Huntley's girlfriend at the time of the deaths, former teaching assistant Maxine Carr, 26, has denied two charges of helping an offender and a charge of perverting the course of justice.
Carr and Huntley were arrested two weeks after Holly and Jessica vanished from the small Cambridgeshire town of Soham last August
The disappearance of the two girls in their red Manchester United soccer shirts led to one of the country's biggest manhunts and the discovery of their bodies sparked debate about re-introducing the death penalty.

Back