HTC Desire Low in space

xbc

DW Member +
Reaction score
I have the HTC desire Android Fw 2.2
with 8 Gig mini sd card

I am fed up of it saying low on space, I have LaucherPro Installed and a few other programs but not that much, I share the programs that allow with the sd card but I keep getting low space even more so after it says the software needs updating

Is there anything I can do, can these these have other android operating software on them

Thanks for info or help

I have this problem too. The only way round this is to root the phone and use apps2sd although in the end I decided against doing this. I have just made sure I went through all my aps and deleted ones I don't use and made sure all the ones that can be stored on sd card are transferred over.

I have the HTC desire Android Fw 2.2
with 8 Gig mini sd card

I am fed up of it saying low on space, I have LaucherPro Installed and a few other programs but not that much, I share the programs that allow with the sd card but I keep getting low space even more so after it says the software needs updating

Is there anything I can do, can these these have other android operating software on them

Thanks for info or help

Android 2.2 firmware will allow you to use app2sd and move a lot of your apps over onto your 8 gig card freeing up some space. Search in the Market for it there is a free version, the better option is to root the phone and install a custom rom. I have leedroid 2.2 firmware which installs all apps automatically to sd leaving the phone memory more or less clean.

Android 2.2 firmware will allow you to use app2sd and move a lot of your apps over onto your 8 gig card freeing up some space. Search in the Market for it there is a free version, the better option is to root the phone and install a custom rom. I have leedroid 2.2 firmware which installs all apps automatically to sd leaving the phone memory more or less clean.

I have just been reading the TUT on here for rooting and rom manager for installing custom roms. I am trying to decide what the benefits are over stock desire rom? Can I backup all my installed apps and restore using titanium backup manager?

I have just been reading the TUT on here for rooting and rom manager for installing custom roms. I am trying to decide what the benefits are over stock desire rom? Can I backup all my installed apps and restore using titanium backup manager?

Yes I did that no problems from stock 2.2 to leedroid 2.2 however I will say that both are froyo based in fact leedroid is just a remade version of the stock rom from what I can gather. This is the reason I chose it but that said as long as you backup in rom manager before you proceed (it asks anyway) then you can get back to exactly where you left it if titanium backup fails.

In short go for it but backup first then you have nothing to lose.

Thanks for all the advice, been looking at youtube and seeing about rooting the phone
I got it a 2 year contract, but it's only covered I Think for a year warranty anyway
just fed up with not being enough room so will look at the options advised thanks

Thanks for all the advice, been looking at youtube and seeing about rooting the phone
I got it a 2 year contract, but it's only covered I Think for a year warranty anyway
just fed up with not being enough room so will look at the options advised thanks

There are comprehensive guides out there plus the rooting can be undone and the phone returned to factory as if you never touched it lol but that's a story for another day.

Google unrevoked and you wont go wrong that is exactly how i did mine it was really simple just installed htc sync then unisnstalled it (important) and it leaves the usb drivers on your system (you can reinstall it later if needs be). Then it's basically a one click process lol.

Last edited:
i use the starburst rom once you partition the mem card u can have plenty space
easy

cheers
osborne82

Thanks for all the advice, I am just a little lost:

I have backup my sd card to the pc and used unrevoked which worked fine.
where I am lost is,
1 Has Unrevoked, now made a backup of my HTC Phone Rom or have I got to still chose an option to do this, does is make a backup to the sd card of the Original rom or PC.

2 To format my sd card correctly do I use a program before I put a new rom on it.

3 My HTC Desire is on Virgin, some of the Roms do not come with a Radio, any advice on what Radio to use.

Thanks for all your help Guys and sorry to be a pain

Thanks for all the advice, I am just a little lost:

I have backup my sd card to the pc and used unrevoked which worked fine.
where I am lost is,
1 Has Unrevoked, now made a backup of my HTC Phone Rom or have I got to still chose an option to do this, does is make a backup to the sd card of the Original rom or PC.

2 To format my sd card correctly do I use a program before I put a new rom on it.

3 My HTC Desire is on Virgin, some of the Roms do not come with a Radio, any advice on what Radio to use.

Thanks for all your help Guys and sorry to be a pain

Before you start back up using titanium backup this will save all your apps and system settings ;)
The rom i suggest you start with is leedroid as it is 2.2 froyo

Head over to the Market and download rom manager. You will need to hit "Flash ClockworkMod Recovery" when you first open the app. Once this is done you can "backup your current rom".
Do this and basically you can get your phone back to that state at any point in the future by using clockwork mod (available by powering on your phone whilst holding the volume down button).
From Rom Manager you can also partition your sd card as some roms require what is called an "ext partition" you will then install your apps to the ext so make it the largest size available (512 mb iirc). Your sd will be formatted so back it up to pc first and return the data back once the format completes. You will then have all your titanium backup information back on the sd card ;)

Rom manager is also what you will use to load custom roms you simply add the roms zip file (keep it in zip form) to the root of your sd card and open rom manager and hit install rom from sd card.. Simples

Remember before you start get your current rom backed as explained above.

Cheers

Also if you use mail app make sure you delete the emails in trash folder. When you delete an email from inbox it still takes memory up as its just moved to trash.

Before you start back up using titanium backup this will save all your apps and system settings ;)
The rom i suggest you start with is leedroid as it is 2.2 froyo

Head over to the Market and download rom manager. You will need to hit "Flash ClockworkMod Recovery" when you first open the app. Once this is done you can "backup your current rom".
Do this and basically you can get your phone back to that state at any point in the future by using clockwork mod (available by powering on your phone whilst holding the volume down button).
From Rom Manager you can also partition your sd card as some roms require what is called an "ext partition" you will then install your apps to the ext so make it the largest size available (512 mb iirc). Your sd will be formatted so back it up to pc first and return the data back once the format completes. You will then have all your titanium backup information back on the sd card ;)

Rom manager is also what you will use to load custom roms you simply add the roms zip file (keep it in zip form) to the root of your sd card and open rom manager and hit install rom from sd card.. Simples

Remember before you start get your current rom backed as explained above.

Cheers

In addition to this I also do a factory reset and clear both caches from the clockwork mod recovery console before installing a new rom.

Cheers

Back