How to turn off pump

gadgethome

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi,

My central heating system is making loud noises and pipes are rattling. I bled the radiators this morning but no luck.
This evening started again when water came on from the timer. The timer switched off over 1 hour ago but the pump is still heating the water.

Its an old back boiler system which is behind the gas fire in the living room. British Gas cant come out till tomorrow afternoon.
I have switched the water/heating off. How can I turn the pump off?

Thanks

The pump wont be heating the water it will just be circulating it,as the water cools the heat will dissipate,

the pump should have switched off with the heating unless its fed direct to the wall or connected to the permanent live on the boiler,is there a fused spur that feeds the heating/boiler?
If so remove the fuse if the pump is bothering you

Thanks for info. The water comes on independently of the heating. Will the fuse be in the airing cupboard? I tried turning the fuse off in the living room next to fire/back boiler but that just turned off the timer clock only.

Have a look in the loft to ensure the header tank has some water in it. If not the system may not have enough water and be kettling (the bangs)

Thanks for info. The water comes on independently of the heating. Will the fuse be in the airing cupboard? I tried turning the fuse off in the living room next to fire/back boiler but that just turned off the timer clock only.

Ah ok so its a combi boiler then,
sorry dont have any detailed experience of them m8 as we are a bit slow on the uptake here in Ireland lol

EDIT: Actually having reread the posts I dont think its a combi,
but the banging is being caused by the water getting too hot so at least with the pump running it will cool the water quicker as it circulates

Last edited:
This morning I looked in loft and the whole loft was full of steam. Sounded like the water boiling. The main bedroom radiator was too hot to touch while the others were warm to the touch.

The pump has now turned itself off now about 1hr 15min after I switched it off.

Thanks for all suggestions.

Thanks. I will give it a try tomorrow. For now its all quiet :)

hi, check to make sure the pump is actually running by taking out the bleed screw in the middle and hold a cloth underneath and put a screwdriver in gently ,you should feel it rotating

the pump runs after the heating has heated up, its called pump over run

if your getting steam sounds like to me not enough water in the system or the pump is failing and being an older system is relying on thermo siphon to push the water round probably why your rad is hot in the bedroom which

would be first on the circuit after the boiler

Last edited:
Thanks for reply. British Gas came out last night and said it was the thermostat and needs replacing. I have homecare with them so parts and labour is free.

Back