How To JailBreak PS3 with BlackCat USB but having probs

kellogs63

Inactive User
Reaction score
hi all
trying to JailBreak PS3 with BlackCat USB with the tut below.
i get to the point where i need to add new legacy hardware for the blackcat
but find it wont register it and i have got a yellow triangle in device manager. i have also tryed to install it on XP Virtual machine with no luck. any help would be much appreciated.

tut
How To JailBreak PS3 with BlackCat USB / Atmel Flip Windows 7 x64

This tut is for flashing the BlackCat USB With Atmel Flip 3.4.1

Things you'll need:

PS3 on Firmware 3.41
Blackcat USB 1.2 or newer
Atmel Flip 3.3.1 or newer Atmel Products - AVR Solutions - FLIP
PSGroove

HowTo windows 7 x64:

This will work for all x86 as well.

1. Put the black cat in DFU mode by flipping the switches to 1 and 2 then connect it to your PC and press the reset button on the blackcat.
2. Open up device manager
3. Click Action in the menu bar and add new legacy hardware
4. Click install the hardware that I select manually.
5. Highlight Show all devices and click next
6. Click Have Disk, then browse to C:\Program Files (x86)\Atmel\Flip 3.4.1\usb\
7. Select atmel_usb_dfu.inf
8. After the driver installs just hit the reset button on the blackcat again and it will show up correctly.
9. Now open up Atmel Flip and select device at90usb162 from the little microchip in the top left
10. now click the usb icon and click usb, then click connect.
11. Load the hex file and flash.
12. flip the 1 and 2 switches back to operational mode and your done.

See below if you are getting the Could not open USB device error in Amtel Flip.

Sometimes The Method Above alone wont get the blackcat to open in Atmel Flip....
So to get it to actually work in windows 7 x64 you will need to install XP Virtual machine, And install the blackcat drivers in the Virtual machine the same exact way and run Atmel Flip in XP mode.
To get it to recognize in XP mode you have to click Attach Device in the menu bar of the XP Virtual Machine.
Then you can install the driver. After that just run Atmel Flip in XP Mode and fl

Last edited:
Requirements:
PS3 (on fw 3.41)
Blackcat USB
Flip Software (i used 3.3.1)
Psgroove Blackcat USB Hex file (w/fixed LED's) Blackcat USB Hex w/ Manager.pkg
Manager.pkg file
External USB Drive
Original PS3 Game Disc

1) Put the Blackcat USB in DFU mode by flipping both switches to the 1 an 2 positions.

2) Push the button on the board and look at Device Manager, if it shows up as AT90USB162 you're in DFU mode.

3) Open Flip and select target device AT90USB162.

4) Now go into Settings and select a communication medium, choose USB. Your Blackcat's info should show up.

5) Go to File, hit Load Hex File, and choose the Blackcat USB hex file.

6) Erase, Blank Check it, and write the Hex file onto the chip.

7) Hit the verify button to make sure it went through ok, if so just hit the "Start Application" button.

8.) Load the Manager.pkg onto the external drive. (Formatted FAT32)

9) Go to your PS3 and do a complete power cycle. (Turn off completely with switch on back.)

10) Plug in your Blackcat USB, turn on the switch in back.

11) Power on your PS3 and hit the eject button immediately. (This is the part most people mess up.)

12) If you did it right, you will have two folders on your XMB. One that says "Install Package Files" and another "/app_home/PS3_GAME/".

13) Plug in your USB drive with the Manager.pkg file. You should now see it in the "Install Package Files" folder. Run it. You should now have Package Manager installed.

14) Install your original PS3 game and run Package Manager. It will ask you whether you want to load it or back it up. Back it up!

15) After a few minutes you'll have a copy of the game showing up. Select it and it will load it to the XMB menu.

16) Hit the game icon and Play!!!!!!!!! ENJOY!!!

Not my work!! Props to original author.

hi thanks for your reply i am using flip 3.4.1 would i be better of trying V3.3.1 if so could you sort out a copy please
in flip 3.4.1 i keep getting error Could not open USB device

Last edited:
are you flipping the switches so it is in DFU mode and shows up as usb196 or summit. then add the driver from the flip dir make sure device manager see it propererly now, press reset button to check.

now on flip load the hex, select connection i.e USB then se;ect open. and program takes a second if that.

it does work done one the other day.

You have to hold the reset button for a few seconds, then switch the jumpers over to flash it

You have to hold the reset button for a few seconds, then switch the jumpers over to flash it

i will try that when I get in from work. I am using windows 64 in the device manager it is saying that the black cat is unrecignisable

yes it will you have to move both jumpers to the other position, press reset button let it detect again until it should come up with the usb196 or something then you need to intall the driver supplied with the flip software in the flip installed dir's

yes it will you have to move both jumpers to the other position, press reset button let it detect again until it should come up with the usb196 or something then you need to intall the driver supplied with the flip software in the flip installed dir's

still not working . i am getting error code 10 in device manager

Not my work!! Props to original author.

Thanks.

Just so everyone knows, the hex file is being updated frequently so you may want to replace the hex file with a newer one with added functionality. Im sure the file can be found using google.

Back