How to get SYSTEM Privileges in Windows

nizzex

DW Member ++
Reaction score
If you open your task manager (ctrl + alt + del) and look at the processes, you will notice that different processes are being run by different users. Some of these processes will be the user you are logged in as, some are local services, network services, and some are run by the system. Now try ending a process run by the system… You will get an error saying access denied. What does this mean? It means that even though you may be admin, you are not the most privileged user on your computer, the system is. Once we become the system, we will be able to access ANY folder, registry entry, etc, but you will be also be able to kill any system task which can be antivirus, VNC, deepfreeze, etc.
spiral.jpg

How do we do it?
Alright, the windows task manager ends programs and processes, but what most people don’t know is that it can also start them. It starts the new processes under the user who it is being run by. You can see this by looking at the taskmgr.exe process; it is being run by you. So in order to start processes as system we must start the task manager as system, and once we do that we can start a new explorer.exe process which will give us full access to ANYTHING. In order to start the task manager under system we must use the windows scheduler. The scheduler is a built in windows program that allows you to run any program at any time.

1. Hit Start -> Run
2. Type “at XX:XX /interactive taskmgr” in the box (without the quotes) where XX:XX is the time one minute ahead of the clock, but in military time. So lets say that it is 4:15 pm. You would type 16:16
3. When 4:16 comes around the task manager will open. What is different? it is now being run by the system, you can check this in the process tab.
4. Kill the explorer process
5. Click File -> New Task and in the box type explorer.exe
6. Your windows should now start loading up again
7. Once it does, look at the user who is logged in at the start menu… SYSTEM… look at explorer.exe in the task manager.. SYSTEM

You now have full access to the computer to do whatever the hell you want.

I'm guessing it would, based on NT also with a similar task manager. MS would have to change a lot about how the "at XX:XX" works to stop this and still make it useful for administrators.

restricted access

hi all got my new pc up and going, just added four accounts (my as admin) the rest as limted. the little wanted the msn stuff onit try to downed it for her, would not work- so i change her account to admin and my back to limted. now it wont let me change it back? its grayed out all the accounts? not letting me do anythink, wont even let me change the little ones- any ideas?

many thanks

big-ron

sorry i think this is in wrong place, pls move

if you log on as the account that has admin rights you should be able to change aceess levels for other accounts if you can't access using user accounts in cotrol panel then try right clicking on "my computer" then slect manage this will open up computer management console in here click on local users and groups then on the right hand panel double click on groups then double click adminstrators this will bring up a list of users that are admin on your machine if you are not in this list just add your self in by clicking on add. if you cannot find and account with admin then log on as normal user and use the trick on the top of this thread and follow the above steps in the system account.

brilliant tool but i wonder will it work on my work pc with win2k ???
i don't even have access to intall the flash player or java plugins makes surfing sucks. :)

thanks m8 ,i have been working with computers long time but didn't know about that ,thanks for sharingthat knowledge

PC restrictions

It will sometimes work if you press F8 whilst the pc is booting and you log on in safe mode. This will sometimes give you access to the administrator account which will allow you to change your own privelages. It all depends how tightly sewn up the pc is

Thats brilliant! Thank you very much for that!

Does anyone know if this also works on Vista?

I believe it does, with XP or Vista you are going to have to be in the local administrators groups to begin with.

If you IT guys know anything about security at work, the first thing to do is make you a member of power users, not administrators.

Back