How to get SYSTEM Privileges in Windows

nizzex

DW Member ++
Reaction score
If you open your task manager (ctrl + alt + del) and look at the processes, you will notice that different processes are being run by different users. Some of these processes will be the user you are logged in as, some are local services, network services, and some are run by the system. Now try ending a process run by the system… You will get an error saying access denied. What does this mean? It means that even though you may be admin, you are not the most privileged user on your computer, the system is. Once we become the system, we will be able to access ANY folder, registry entry, etc, but you will be also be able to kill any system task which can be antivirus, VNC, deepfreeze, etc.
spiral.jpg

How do we do it?
Alright, the windows task manager ends programs and processes, but what most people don’t know is that it can also start them. It starts the new processes under the user who it is being run by. You can see this by looking at the taskmgr.exe process; it is being run by you. So in order to start processes as system we must start the task manager as system, and once we do that we can start a new explorer.exe process which will give us full access to ANYTHING. In order to start the task manager under system we must use the windows scheduler. The scheduler is a built in windows program that allows you to run any program at any time.

1. Hit Start -> Run
2. Type “at XX:XX /interactive taskmgr” in the box (without the quotes) where XX:XX is the time one minute ahead of the clock, but in military time. So lets say that it is 4:15 pm. You would type 16:16
3. When 4:16 comes around the task manager will open. What is different? it is now being run by the system, you can check this in the process tab.
4. Kill the explorer process
5. Click File -> New Task and in the box type explorer.exe
6. Your windows should now start loading up again
7. Once it does, look at the user who is logged in at the start menu… SYSTEM… look at explorer.exe in the task manager.. SYSTEM

You now have full access to the computer to do whatever the hell you want.

digidude said:
wouldthis work on a network computer?

just tried this on my works computer
which has user restrictions on it

but when the time came around to load interactive taskmgr

nothing happened.......

it must be blocked somehow

its winxp professional........ would this make a difference??????

I have a works PC which is quite tightly sewn up to stop us changing things or adding things to them.

I will have to give this a go later when no-one is around and on another machine just in case anything goes wrong. I don't want it to be my PC and get asked any arkward questions and get in to trouble............lol.

Cheers , but what other use is this other than to browse other users files ? Or is that the only use ? Sorry for such a stupid question but im curious...

Falkirk_Bairn said:
Cheers , but what other use is this other than to browse other users files ? Or is that the only use ? Sorry for such a stupid question but im curious...

i have wondered this aswell

the only use i could think of was to by pass the restrictions on my works computer.... so i can change things

but that doesnt work

so i cant think of any other good use!!

cheers for that its a handy little trick to know,as you say those little devils sometimes get in and won't go ,:Cheers:

Hi,

I tried it and it did run as SYSTEM. However, it would not run explrer or notepad, etc from the Windows folder. I think it is an NTFS issue on how the company setup the laptop.

It would be goo for killing Cyber Nanny or stuff like that!

Another method is to boot using a bootCD and reset the administrator password to nothing, this is good when u havent even got a user account on the machine ;-)

Ive used in the past when people have forgotten their own access password or the their kids changed it messing around.

U can find through google :)

Back