How Many People Take Advantage Of Bit Locker W8 !!!

CoolHandLuke

Inactive User
Reaction score
Ive been addicted to windows 7 Ulitimate for the last few year, simply because of the built in Bit Locker, Its easy to keep my pron and passwords,phone numbers, and software files tucked away safe on my laptop, and I do not have to worry about my son or wife messing up my files, or even worse seeing my disgusting videos :FRIGHT:

With the release of windows 8 everybody has bit locker in there hands, but how many people take advantage of it, and actually use it ? First thing I do when I do a fresh install, is make a extra 50GB partition and use that for bitlocker. If your not taking advantage of it already, here's a quick guide, I stole of some techy site :grayno:

BitLocker Guide Flash Pen

The Windows 8 BitLocker feature scrambles the contents of your PC’s hard drive. Then it quickly unscrambles it whenever you enter your user account’s password. Why bother? It’s a precaution against your information falling into the hands of thieves. If they steal your PC or even its hard drive, they won’t be able to access your data, and its stash of passwords, credit-card numbers, and other personal information.

Unfortunately, BitLocker provides more protection than most people need. It’s difficult for non-techies to set up, and if you ever lose your password, you’ve lost all your data, as well. BitLocker also requires your PC to be set up in a special way, with an extra partition — a separate storage area — on your hard drive.

If you’re interested in BitLocker, take your PC to your office’s information technology person and ask for help and advice on setting it up. Or, as a start, set up BitLocker on a portable flash drive, and keep your sensitive files on that. Because many flash drives live in pockets and keychains, they’re much more likely to fall into a stranger’s hands.

If you’re comfortable using your flash drive only on PCs running Windows 8, Windows 7, or Windows Vista, follow these steps to encrypt your flash drive with BitLocker:

Insert your flash drive into your PC’s USB port, open File Explorer from the Desktop, and navigate to your flash drive’s icon.

Right-click the drive’s icon and choose Turn On BitLocker from the pop-up menu.

When the BitLocker Drive Encryption window appears, click the Use a Password to Unlock the Drive check box, enter a password, and click Next.

The program offers tips for choosing a strong password. When you click next, the window asks how you want to back up your recovery key.

Click the Print the Recovery Key option and click Next.

This important step prints a sequence of characters to type in should you lose your password. Alternatively, you can save the recovery key to a file or SkyDrive.

Click the Encrypt Used Disk Space Only (best for larger drives) option, or the Encrypt Entire Drive (best for smaller drives) option. Then click Next.

Click the Start Encrypting button.

The next time you insert your flash drive into a PC running Windows 8, Windows 7, or Windows Vista, you — or the thief — must enter the password entered in Step 3, or the drive’s contents will stay encrypted and inaccessible.

Enable BitLocker On Your Hard-Drive

You can use BitLocker to encrypt an entire fixed drive, such as the local drive Windows is installed on or an internal data drive. For removable flash or external USB drives you can use its younger brother, BitLocker To Go. First let’s take a look at how to enable BitLocker on a local hard drive.

To encrypt an entire drive, simply right-click on the drive and select Turn on BitLocker from the context menu.

Next you’ll need to choose a secure password that will be used to access the drive.

You’re prompted to store the recovery key which is used in the event you lose your password or smartcard. If you store it as a file make sure that it’s not on the same drive that you’re encrypting.

Confirm you want the drive to be encrypted then wait until the process is complete. The amount of time it takes will vary based on the size and amount of data on the drive.

To access the encrypted drive you’ll need to enter in the password to unlock it.

The drive icon will change to show it’s encrypted with BitLocker, where the gold lock indicates it’s locked up and the gray lock is displayed after you have unlocked it.

PS Instead of using a usb pen as a Key, I just use a really long password like my 3 familys phone numbers and names something you never forget.

USB pens are easly lost and the massive key generated will never be rememberd unless your nara lol

Last edited:
It’s difficult for non-techies to set up, and if you ever lose your password, you’ve lost all your data, as well.

That is actually not technically correct. If you are lucky enough to have your own domain, it stores the key in AD which can be recovered.

I don't use it as I don't have a need to on a personal level, but my works laptop has Checkpoint installed (CESG/CAPS Approved). I've installed it recently to a group of staff users for a project and it seems to be pretty decent.

That is actually not technically correct. If you are lucky enough to have your own domain, it stores the key in AD which can be recovered.

I don't use it as I don't have a need to on a personal level, but my works laptop has Checkpoint installed (CESG/CAPS Approved). I've installed it recently to a group of staff users for a project and it seems to be pretty decent.

Come on mate give me a break LMAO, I was just posting for people who are not using it, I dont even know what check point is or (CESG/CAPS Approved) give the basic users a chance, so many people on here are too quick to stick there knowledge in and have a dig, even if not INTENDED.....

My C-OCK is bigger then your C-OCK kind of thing............... although you do make a good point.

Last edited:
all our work computers are encrypted with it, as exos said the keys are stored in AD so allowed admins can decrypt machines if required, we have tools to do this remotely if need be.

Encryption of a 250GB drive takes around 2 hours during which time the PC is usable but slow.

all our work computers are encrypted with it, as exos said the keys are stored in AD so allowed admins can decrypt machines if required, we have tools to do this remotely if need be.

Encryption of a 250GB drive takes around 2 hours during which time the PC is usable but slow.

Great !!! well could you post a tutorial on how to use it then, and where to download it, most basic users will be in the dark about this kind of stuff and software, It would be nice if you's could share your suppa doopa skills. :)

Back