How fit are you

Well im walking like a geriatric this morning but its all good lol.

At 15 I could play football for hours on a saturdays, then joined a sunday league team, trained twice a week and finished playing when I was 26. I'm 53 now and still working in building/property maintenance, my knees a fooked and on 6 pills a day for high blood pressure!
I go in goal for my grandson these days, he's only 6 mind

That's about good time, Love spending time in that part of the world. Was up there couple of weeks ago. One of the few times i've had where it's been two full days of glorious sunshine. Was a fantastic night camping as well.

Here's Ben Nevis taken from the Glen Nevis side, path runs up that smaller hill on the left. Hope you have a good un

Well that's me been & gone & done it :Clap:

I slept overnight in my car at the Ben Nevis Inn (was too late to try to find a spot to pitch the tent).

I set off at 05:50, the reason being was that it was nice & cool, & hardly anyone else would be heading up that early.

It was dry all the way up, and the sun started coming into view when I was about 30 minutes from the summit.

The hardest part going up was when I deviated from the zig zag's and ended up scrambling over boulders & scree. There was still some snow near the top & also clinging to the North face.

I was the only person at the top for a good hour or so, & managed to get inside the hut at the top & make a few calls on my mobile.

It was a great feeling coming back down, as I passed stacks of people on the way up who asked "How far to the top?".
After coming down a third of the way, one of my toes started giving me aggro with every step & my hips were screaming out in pain.
By the time I was at the bottom, I was counting my money to see if I could afford an airlift down :)

I took about 4 hours up, and the same back down again, but I took a good few rest stops & ventured off to the loch, part of the way up.

I'd take more water the next time (if there ever is). Two litres & two bottles of Lucozade wasn't enough, but I managed to ration it to last out.
----

So... am I fit?

Not today I'm not, I feel like my legs are making me pay for every single step I took yesterday + interest.

Was it worth it?

Hell yeah!!! For an hour I was the highest person on British soil, I bagged my first Monroe, and now I can look at any other mountain in Britain and say "I've walked higher". :)

BenNevis2008-28-07.jpg

Well that's me been & gone & done it :Clap:

I slept overnight in my car at the Ben Nevis Inn (was too late to try to find a spot to pitch the tent).

I set off at 05:50, the reason being was that it was nice & cool, & hardly anyone else would be heading up that early.

It was dry all the way up, and the sun started coming into view when I was about 30 minutes from the summit.

The hardest part going up was when I deviated from the zig zag's and ended up scrambling over boulders & scree. There was still some snow near the top & also clinging to the North face.

I was the only person at the top for a good hour or so, & managed to get inside the hut at the top & make a few calls on my mobile.

It was a great feeling coming back down, as I passed stacks of people on the way up who asked "How far to the top?".
After coming down a third of the way, one of my toes started giving me aggro with every step & my hips were screaming out in pain.
By the time I was at the bottom, I was counting my money to see if I could afford an airlift down :)

I took about 4 hours up, and the same back down again, but I took a good few rest stops & ventured off to the loch, part of the way up.

I'd take more water the next time (if there ever is). Two litres & two bottles of Lucozade wasn't enough, but I managed to ration it to last out.
----

So... am I fit?

Not today I'm not, I feel like my legs are making me pay for every single step I took yesterday + interest.

Was it worth it?

Hell yeah!!! For an hour I was the highest person on British soil, I bagged my first Monroe, and now I can look at any other mountain in Britain and say "I've walked higher".

BenNevis2008-28-07.jpg

Well done mate :Clap: Very well done!

Back