How do you re-home homing pigeons?

Him Her

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Roy Day of Northfleet, Kent, had 20 homing pigeons in his garden shed. Neighbors complained of the noise and smell, and the Gravesham Borough Council notified Day that the pigeons were a health problem and that he would have to sell or give his pigeons away.

Day says that if he took the pigeons somewhere else, they would come back, because that is what homing pigeons do. "They gave me a seven-day deadline to get rid of them, but even if they went 150-odd miles away, they'd still come back — they are homing pigeons."

Tell ya what you can do hh take um 150 the other way this time let um go drive home fast and change the number on your door to the neighbours numer then it's their problems pmpl

I had a few racers when I was a kid, he can move them, but he will have to keep them locked in the coop for a few weeks, then tie training string round there foot rings and let them fly small distances, it can take a couple of month but you can re-home them.

Clay Pigeon Shooting, with an emphasis on the Pigeon and Shooting....

i know when i was a nipper my dad use to keep Pigeon in a loft top of garden not house (before you start) :), but for the life of me i cant remember how he retrained them he was always getting birds of other people.
seen him ring there necks a few time's must have been $hit birds, but pie we never ate unless mum put it in the stew hehe.

i know when i was a nipper my dad use to keep Pigeon in a loft top of garden not house (before you start) :), but for the life of me i cant remember how he retrained them he was always getting birds of other people.
seen him ring there necks a few time's must have been $hit birds, but pie we never ate unless mum put it in the stew hehe.

Napster its just a simple case of leaving them in the there new hut for a few weeks let the poop build up abit ( not to much ) just so the sent and stuff is there like there old hut, then everyday let them out on string start with like 10 meter's for a bit and then build up to trees or roof etc, under feed them so there hungry , then shake there food when there out use a rattle or bottle with pebbles in etc

It's pretty basic stuff but can be loads of fun and very satisfying once you let them loose it does take a few month and small steps at a time but it's a great hobby for kids, and keeps them out of trouble.

Only downside good birds cost good money !!!

My dad kept racing pigeons throughout my childhood. Young pigeons can be re-homed but never heard of anyone using string,lol.
A large windowed frame would be sat on the landing stage of the loft and the birds released into that for a couple of hours a day to get used to their surroundings. A couple of weeks later they would be allowed to fly and fingers' crossed they would come baxck.

Old birds would be rehomed just for breeding purposes if they were good racers. They were only released when their neck was wrung and then buried a couple of feet under

You didn't see the joke Manic01, never mind mate

regards Dai

I think he saw it ;)

TBH, it was posted 'cos I thought it was funny, homing pigeons would go home, obvious really. What I didn't expect was all the interesting comments :)

PeragrineAttack.jpg

He could just send them to my brother, This is what a peragrine did to one of his last weekend.

Believe it or not it's still alive and healing quite nicely.

It's easy to re-home them.

All you need is an industrial size rubber band, two large sticks, three wire coat hangers, an empty fairy liquid bottle, sellotape, paper mache and Revell Enamel Model Paint 14ml (32365) Patina Green Silk Matt

Model the paper mache around the coat hangers into the shape not that dissimilar to a pterodactyl body and two triangles as wings, use the sellotape for two wings and stick them to the body. Paint the body and wings, once the mache has dried. Place the two sticks into the ground on a 57.4 degree angle, ensuring they are suitably secured (you might need to invest in some cement). Tie the large rubber band between the sticks and hold the pretend pterodactyl against the rubber band, pulling it back as far as it will stretch.

Whilst balancing release the catch on the pigeon coop with your other hand and as the pigeons fly out release the pterodactyl.

The pigeons will be so scared at the sight of the flying Jurassic beast, they will not return.

Fill the empty fair liquid bottle with your choice of alcoholic beverage and celebrate quietly as the neighbors watch in amazement.

Repeat as necessary.

Last edited:
Back