Software How do you install an operating system after using killdisk

welsh boy

Inactive User
Reaction score
I used killdisk to wipe my computer and now i can't figure out how to reload the operating system. So do I need a program to format the hard drive.

I used killdisk to wipe my computer and now i can't figure out how to reload the operating system. So do I need a program to format the hard drive.

On start up watch screen see what button gets you into boot options or bios to select boot option..it's normally F8 or F9 or esc.Boot into bios select optical drive as boot prioity,at boot ensure you have installation disc in optical drive and install.or on start up press the boot option key the F8 F9 etc select optical drive then enter it will then boot to optical drive to installation disc..for usb install do the same but select usb for boot option.
Edit instructions are for windows based computers.

On my boot sequence this is what is showing.
1 onboard or usb cd-rom drive.
2 usb device.
3 onboard sata hard drive

Once you start installing windows, you will get to a screen asking you to select the drive to install to. if you have used killdisk then you will only see one partition which should all be free space. Select that and windows will automatically partition and format it.

I was hoping when i put the cd in the drive and reboot my computer it would ask me to format my hard drive.

See above, just select the free space on the hard drive and windows will do the rest. I assume you are installing Windows 7 ?

I was hoping when i put the cd in the drive and reboot my computer it would ask me to format my hard drive.

Okay put installation disc in drive,start computer to boot options and select CD drive to install to..
When install starts it will tell you to press any key to install from CD drive so press any key...accept the terms and you will be shown your partition install options for where to install,at this point click on all partitions/highlight one at a time and from options at the bottom select delete..keep doing this till you have only on partition left basically the whole of the hard drive then install on this,click next.

Okay put installation disc in drive,start computer to boot options and select CD drive to install to..
When install starts it will tell you to press any key to install from CD drive so press any key...accept the terms and you will be shown your partition install options for where to install,at this point click on all partitions/highlight one at a time and from options at the bottom select delete..keep doing this till you have only on partition left basically the whole of the hard drive then install on this,click next.

He shouldn't need to delete any partitions, he has used killdisk which should have deleted all the existing partitions.

He shouldn't need to delete any partitions, he has used killdisk which should have deleted all the existing partitions.

It would not have deleted the system reserved partitions..and depending on reinstalls there could be one or two..

Is it a SATA HDD @welsh boy?

You either need to get a floppy (I jest, but I still use them...) with the SATA driver or a version of XP with built in SATA drivers. That is usually easier than adding them yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Once I pressed install from CD drive I don't get any partition options. All I get is run the 32 bit dell diagnostics.

You will need a copy of XP SP3 install disk which has built in SATA drivers.

Windows XP SP3 ISO Download | Get into PC

Any reason for not installing Windows 7 ? XP is no longer supported and I would think twice about installing it these days.
Would you have a link for xp home. The computer is to slow to put windows 7 on so I thought I would put xp on it and get rid of it.

Is there a 'stripped down' version of 7? I have an old PC running XP (original Fit-PC)- it's fine but has a lot of clients' information on it and thinking XP might be a bit past it for that. It's quite low-spec but I like it because it's on 24/7 and only consumes 6W. Trying to decide whether to install Win 7 or Linux. I'd prefer 7 due to familiarity but don't know if it'll run well on an old 500MHz AMD & just 500 MB RAM.

Is there a 'stripped down' version of 7? I have an old PC running XP (original Fit-PC)- it's fine but has a lot of clients' information on it and thinking XP might be a bit past it for that. It's quite low-spec but I like it because it's on 24/7 and only consumes 6W. Trying to decide whether to install Win 7 or Linux. I'd prefer 7 due to familiarity but don't know if it'll run well on an old 500MHz AMD & just 500 MB RAM.

there are a couple of mini windows 7 made mainly for netbooks but im not 100% sure what the min system requirements for them are i can find out and let you know....you can upgrade ram quite cheaply but its all down to the processor at the end of the day..1GHZ min for vista onwards...
best set up is 2gb ram 2ghz processor +/-

there are a couple of mini windows 7 made mainly for netbooks but im not 100% sure what the min system requirements for them are i can find out and let you know....you can upgrade ram quite cheaply but its all down to the processor at the end of the day..1GHZ min for vista onwards...
best set up is 2gb ram 2ghz processor +/-

Thanks for that, I had a feeling you'd have an answer :) The processor is apparently an AMD PCS, but Googling that just brings up AMD PC's. Not much help when trying to find spec's in a hurry. I don't know how vulnerable it really is, I never surf the web on it (too slow :grayyawn:) and there are 3 routers between it & the big bad net. It just runs OE, and has done 24/7 for the past 7 years.

Back