How do I Secure Erase format a micro SD card ?

i would fill it with films them format it they would only be able to see the films

There IS NO WAY of achieving full erase on electronic storage devices, or even an erase comparable to that possible on magnetic storage.

Yes, I know, this is an old post. But, just like me, others may be searching the web for the best possible solution for an as secure erase possible on flash based memory. This may help them.

If you, like me, need to erase SD cards, SSD's, USB sticks, to make then non readable by enterprises and authorities with unlimited funds then forget it, it's not possible afaik. It wasn't possible up to 2010 at least, as I've studied papers on this from Computer Science professors from the major Universities.

Thanks mate, was just about to say "this is an old post"

Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.
Comes in quite handy before you start using HDD's etc.

Main Features:

Creates a virtual encrypted disk within a file and mounts it as a real disk.
Encrypts an entire partition or storage device such as USB flash drive or hard drive.
Encrypts a partition or drive where Windows is installed (pre-boot authentication).
Encryption is automatic, real-time (on-the-fly) and transparent.
Parallelization and pipelining allow data to be read and written as fast as if the drive was not encrypted.
Encryption can be hardware-accelerated on modern processors.
Provides plausible deniability, in case an adversary forces you to reveal the password:
Hidden volume (steganography) and hidden operating system.
More information about the features of TrueCrypt may be found in the documentat

As you have added with the TrueCrypt link, that is the only way to go.
Need to encrypt the device prior to using it, which is the way I and my organization goes about it on all our medias, be it magnetic or electronic.

TrueCrypt is a great solution, and free. Works on portable devices too.

There IS NO WAY of achieving full erase on electronic storage devices, or even an erase comparable to that possible on magnetic storage.

Yes, I know, this is an old post. But, just like me, others may be searching the web for the best possible solution for an as secure erase possible on flash based memory. This may help them.

If you, like me, need to erase SD cards, SSD's, USB sticks, to make then non readable by enterprises and authorities with unlimited funds then forget it, it's not possible afaik. It wasn't possible up to 2010 at least, as I've studied papers on this from Computer Science professors from the major Universities.

For SSDs you can use the same ATA Secure Erase standard available on mechanical drives: SSD Data Wiping: Sanitize or Secure Erase SSDs? > Kingston.com

For SSDs you can use the same ATA Secure Erase standard available on mechanical drives: SSD Data Wiping: Sanitize or Secure Erase SSDs? > Kingston.com

Thanks for the link.
Good information on tools using the ATA commands. I did not know of the HDDErase tool.
Nice documentation provided by Kingston.

This of course is a bit on the advanced level and not something anyone will be able to do but it's certainly a good guide for us who can and really need it.
Unfortunately only SSD atm.

The study they base their documentation on is one of the reports I was referring to.
I can't be sure this tool will be 100% effective as I have not checked for tests conducted on it. If you have links on tests showing it's effectiveness I'd be happy to check them out.

I can say that the studies have shown that not even the ATA commands are perfectly safe to use.

An excerpt from the researchers at UCLA:
" We find that while most implementations of the ATA commands are
correct, others contain serious bugs that can, in some
cases, result in all the data remaining intact on the drive."

Back