How do I reboot my HP pc????????????

hmann

Inactive User
Reaction score
My computer has been infectected by a virus as I am unable to get windows to start up. How can I wipe my system clean and re-install my system without a system recovery disk. Is there a way, help???????!!!!!!!!!!!! :Kickassro

what model is your machine ? post back

i have a few system recovery disks for hp machines.

our customers have a specific builds loaded so they never use the recovery disks, i normally remove them so there is no confusion in the future.

If it's a fairly modern HP system, and yuou have not messed with the harddisk partitions, you should be able to press the function key F11, to restore the operating system back to the factory settings.

Get a recent copy of UBCD4win or even better make your own and during the assembly process update the virus databases.

Once compiled this disk will boot a windows installation off your optical drive and will then allow you to do a full virus scan of your HDD without having to boot from it.

Hopefully this will give you some functionality back and you can get into windows and then make your HP backup disks to do the repair.

Messa

there will be a hidden partion on your hard drive, do a google search for your model there will be a way to recover it by pressing an Fkey .

there will be a hidden partion on your hard drive, do a google search for your model there will be a way to recover it by pressing an Fkey .
There is a high likelihood that if the op's system has been infected with a virus then the recovery partition will also be infected.

From my experience HP machines have a extra partition for drivers, Op system & Utilities - in other words stuff that you can DL from HP's homepage (support&downloads section)

In these cases I have formatted the computer using a WinXP CD & downloaded the drivers and useful utilities from the homepage.

Just-in-case how to install a fresh Windows copy -
1)Boot from CD, Enter Win XP setup
2)After showing U current partitions delete all and format the new unpatitioned space to NTFS
3)Follow the installation instructions
4)Now you need a few programs on your USB stick - a firewall, an antivirus and the ethernet driver (all of these you have previously copied on your friends computer;))
5)Now its safe to connect to the internet and DL all the other drivers from HP homepage.

Good luck...

P.S. If you prefer more partitions you can create an extra partition for the OS & other stuff with step 2 or afterwards using ie Partition Magic

Not really reboot but reformat.

Use driver Genius to backup all existing installed drivers to a disc or USB device.

Borrow a copy of windows from a mate or download from any torrent site (use your own serial to keeps things legal)

Then make sure you have 1st boot device configured for your CD device and follow the on screen insructions!

Good luck.

Back