How do i change fonts and size on enigma 2 image?

jimbo2011

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi. I notice there is a subdirecotry on the TM Twin called "charset". I assume this is the working fonts and sizes used on screen.

If it is not, where do I find this and also, I need to make the size of the image bigger, plus change it to a different font, preferably Arial, Arial Bold, AvantGuard BkBT Bold, but NOT the current font which is squashy and ugly-looking.

I would like also to be able to change the colours so that t shows yellow in some cases not white, but white is OK, it is just scrunched up and does not look very nice.

As I am visually impaired, and so is my mum, it would be a great help if someone can advise me which file has the fonts in, how do I find alternative fonts in the required format, and can fonts just be changed if necessary.

Your help is appreciated. hanks very much and I look forward to hearing from you.

Most images come with a range of fonts and sizes,even colours,but you can only change them by editing the skin.xml,which really can be an arse of a job unless you have a lot of patience as you will have to trawl through the xml looking for references of where you want to change fonts,

I use E2 Skinner to give me an idea of where I need to change things,not all skins seem to load into E2skinner so sometimes you have to trial and error,you will find the skin.xml in usr/share/enigma2 and then click on the skin folder you are using,

Make sure to back up your skin.xml before changing anything though :)

Thanks. I have

skin.xml
skin_default.xml
skin_subtitles.xml
skin_text.xml
startwizard.xml
unicable.xml

Which one do I change? If I use skin.xml, will I not have to change the subtitles one etc.

Also, there are many .ttf files in the fonts subdirectory. If I want avant guarde, would I have to put this in this folder? Aso, how do I know which ones are currently in use? there is also a folder called Skin_default which contains .png files inside all the folders.

So a bit more help is needed. I have an xml editor program but I need to be able to change the colour size, font etc.

Thanks again.

Thanks. I have

skin.xml
skin_default.xml
skin_subtitles.xml
skin_text.xml
startwizard.xml
unicable.xml

Which one do I change? If I use skin.xml, will I not have to change the subtitles one etc.

Also, there are many .ttf files in the fonts subdirectory. If I want avant guarde, would I have to put this in this folder? Aso, how do I know which ones are currently in use? there is also a folder called Skin_default which contains .png files inside all the folders.

So a bit more help is needed. I have an xml editor program but I need to be able to change the colour size, font etc.

Thanks again.

I put e2skinner2 in the downloads earlier, have a play with that first, it comes with a few skins iirc,

You will start to see where to change things, I usually only change font size for info bar and channel selection and theses are in the skin.xml

Thanks. I looked in downloads and could not find that program. Please can you provide a link? Also, I had a look at the xml file but I don't understand any of the commands. Some of it such as size is just numbers which are meaningless on their own.

Where would I put any different font I wanted to have my menus and now/next etc appearing in?

Thanks.

Thanks. I looked in downloads and could not find that program. Please can you provide a link? Also, I had a look at the xml file but I don't understand any of the commands. Some of it such as size is just numbers which are meaningless on their own.

Where would I put any different font I wanted to have my menus and now/next etc appearing in?

Thanks.

http://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/downloads-dreambox-tools-apps-34/e2skinner2-573.html

As much as I would like to be able to talk you through it, it requires hours of work to search through bits of the xml file and change things bit by bit without crashing your box,

If you have time by all means go for it but it's a slow process if you want to make wholesale changes :(

Thanks. I assume this can be run on a PC not a piece of sw for the STB?

And why would the box crash if you change font size? And where do I put additional fonts?

Thanks.

Sorry but I cannot run this program as it requires .NET Framework 4. Is it possible to just change the xml file with diffeent sized fonts? Would this crash the box or not? Thanks.

Sorry but I cannot run this program as it requires .NET Framework 4. Is it possible to just change the xml file with diffeent sized fonts? Would this crash the box or not? Thanks.

Can you not install Net framework 4?

Yes you can increase font sizes in the xml, but every single instance of text has a font type and size reference, so you would have to change each one,

And without knowing what the "Screen" or "widget" you are trying to change its all trial and error, which was why I said to use e2skinner2 to familiarise yourself with what different things are called,

I'm not trying to be awkward but it's not for the novice, in my opinion

According to my program list I already have it. Just hope it does not stop other programs from working.

Also, in many cases in the .xml file, the size is shown by two numbers. Which of these do I change? Thanks.

According to my program list I already have it. Just hope it does not stop other programs from working.

Also, in many cases in the .xml file, the size is shown by two numbers. Which of these do I change? Thanks.

Without knowing exactly what area you are trying to change I couldn't even guess, change one of them then restart enigma2 to see if it worked

Back