home made soups

goldie

Ellie's Buxom Wench
Reaction score
hi all

now the winter's on its way and we all need something warm inside us ( careful how you answer that bit).

I thought i'd let you know how i make my homemade soups. mainly because i dont like shop ones. theres no flavour in them in my opinion.

BEEF AND VEGETABLE

mince beef
sauspan of water
any veg you have eg. potatoes (a basic must as they help to thicken it up)
onion , carrot , suede, leeks, parsnips, peas. etc.
2 or 3 beef stock cubes ( chicken if using poultry)
good squeeze tom puree
worcester sauce
good pinch mixed herbs
pinch thyme
salt and pepper to taste
food blender
large sauspan

METHOD

place mince in pan with water, bring to boil and skim off scum
peel and finely dice up all veg to your preferred liking and put in with mince, bring back to boil . skim off again if needed,
turn down to a simmer and add seasoning and herbs and the beef stock cube and dashes of worcester sauce
give a good stir and let cook for about half hour with an occasional stir and taste and add more seasoning you require.
when cooked ( all veg is soft) take about half out and whizz in your blender,
(use about half or less , so that you still get chunky bits in your soupbowl)
then return it to the pan and warm up again.
THEN SERVE UP.

this is a basic one, you can change and use leftover chicken and bacon. lamb whatever you like, use different herbs, say tarragon for chicken or turkey, EXPERIMENT. thats what cooking is about, use curry powder if you like? add grated cheese on top with pinch parsley? croutons of deep fried bread cubes? anything and everything. most of all ENJOY.

......oh and a dash of red wine. gives it a nice depth ( white if using chicken ) xx

Home Made Vegetable Soup

4 Carrots
2 Onions
1/2 lb Broccoli
1/2 Turnip
2 Potatoes (thickens soup)
1 Vegetable stock cube
2 pints of water

Put the water in a large saucepan and add the vegetable stock cube. Bring to the boil. Peel and chop your vegetables and then puree them in a blender. Add the vegetables to the saucepan and simmer for half an hour.

You can add cooked chicken or any kind of cooked meat if you want, or adjust the amounts and types of vegetables. If you don't want to use potatoes use a spoonful of cornflour mixed into a paste with a little water and add five mins before serving.

I don't add salt or pepper to my soups, i let people do that themselves at the table.

Re: Home Made Vegetable Soup

I don't add salt or pepper to my soups, i let people do that themselves at the table.

yeah to be honest i do too. but thats the recipe , so its up to individual really, just gives you the option if ya want. in fact i rarely add salt to my dinner once at the table too. and nor do the others , and you really notice the difference how much nicer food tastes!! only been since been with ellie, he got me out of it, men have their good points sometimes lol xx

@ goldie You put suede in your soup does it not taste leathery lol.

simple smokey lentil soup

not the most technical of recipes, but fookin delicious all the same......

cup of lentils
3 big carrots
2 strong onions
2 fresh leeks
half a turnip
packet of cheap smoked bacon
2 veggie stock cubes

method:

get up nice and early on a cold sunday morning...

wash lentils,add to pot of water, bring to boil then simmer (30mins)

roughly cut the fat off the bacon, tie in a knot then throw in the pan
add the stock cubes and keep simmering/stirring

chop the carrot and turnip into nice big chunky bits and toss them in.

roughly chop the onoins and leeks, wash well and throw them.

bring the heat back up then let it simmer, stirring constantly because you'll be gutted if it sticks....

chop up the bacon, (again big bits), throw it in.
let the soup simmer away until carrots/turnip are soft... (again stirring)

spoon out the big chunk of bacon fat, switch soup off and leave in a cool place...

go to the pub, get pissed.

get home drunk and preferebly cold.

heat soup up, (add water if its too thick)

serve in a big bowl,

sprinkle in some dried parlsey, salt and pepper to taste...

wire right in with an outsider....

enjoy:)

Last edited:
@ goldie You put suede in your soup does it not taste leathery lol.

no? its diced up small for one, but ive never noticed it tasting "leathery". adds a strongish flavour i think .................ive just re read it , hahaha i spelt it wrong didnt i, hahah what a wally omg how blonde am i? dah xx

This is a recipe for Cawl, which is a Welsh Broth/Soup.

Stewing Steak
3 Carrorts (Diced/chopped)
1 Onion (Diced)
3 Potatos (Large Diced)
1 Swede (Diced)
2 Parsnips (Diced)
1 Large Leek
Half a cup of split lentils.
Salt/Pepper

Bang it all in a big saucepan filled with water, and simmer until thick. You can if you wish, blend it when its made to make a really thick soup, if you dont like a chunky soup.

Butternut Squash Soup

A friend of mine gave me this recipe, it's lovely i tried it today :)

Ingredients

1 medium to large butternut squash
3 medium carrots
3 sticks of celery
2 medium sized sweet potatoes
1 1/2 inch piece of fresh root ginger
1 vegetable stock cube
salt and pepper
knob of butter
chopped fresh coriander and natural yoghurt to serve

Preparation

Peel and chop all of the ingredients. Be careful with the butternut squash it can be a bit tough to peel. I would recommend cutting it in half first and removing the seeds.

Then place all the chopped veg and the ginger in a large saucepan, add the stock cube, salt and pepper and add water to about an inch above the veg.

Bring to the boil and then simmer until all the vegetables are soft. You may wish to add more water at this stage, depending on how you like your soup.

Use a hand whisk and blend until smooth, stir in the butter and serve with the chopped coriander and natural yoghurt.

lol dont even know what a Butternut Squash is !!

just making a big pot of ham hock and mixed lentils soup
this will last all weekend

1 big ham hock
1 pack of mixed lentils or scotch broth mix
1kg carrots
1 turnip
1 big leak
some parsley and basil
ham or veg stock cubes
salt and pepper

soak lentils over night, chop the veg I put them through food processor. get the biggest pot you can find, put ham hock on to boil then throw in all the other ingredients and simmer till lentils are soft and meat falls of the bone then remove ham bones.

put some in a bowl get a couple of slices of Scottish plain bread(mothers pride for me) and get wired in. it's souper.:proud:

Last edited:
snap with rab-p only the plain has to be 33/1 shot! big outsider! lol
just like ma dear auld maw showed me only wits wi the food processer? do it the easy way with the auld grater! lol

and second day soups the best

Last edited:
Back