High def on the 360 (wmvhd)

so how does it play the hd movies then? i mean if the 360 plays hd dvd's whats the point of the add on player?

it dont play hd dvds thats why, it plays wmv in hd format...dont question why just go get some lol.

I want to be able to do it with no transcoding and no conversion from one to another (well no-more than needed anyway!)

As soon as the xbox360 can do what the normal xbox can do with xbmc I'll get one, until then, I'll hve to use a pc for HD!

got a few more titles last night and the dl dvds i got dont work in my drive! grr have to wait not for more hd goodness lol!

yeah tommohawk is right, any files that are wmv-hd will play on the 360 no problem, it doesnt matter what source they are from. The x264 files are really just for pc viewing (and poss streaming to the 360?)

As this is relativly new a new set of standards have been released for 'scene' releases, with any files titles dvd5 must fully fill single layer dvd and dvd9 fully fill a dual laver so no more 5.1gb files for example giving more room for the films so expect high quality across the board from now on!

what setting do you record these as ive burnt it but it wont play is it udf or udf/iso

what setting do you record these as ive burnt it but it wont play is it udf or udf/iso

Did you go to the Media blade and click Video, then choose console and play disc?

I burnt as UDF and it played fine.

yeah burn as a data dvd (nero etc) just go to your media blade and then video and you can select the file and watch it from there!

as above data dvd with nero at slowspeed as the 2nd layer sometimes fails if you burn too quick, with my disks anyway.

is it still best to use verbs for dl discs just like games. if not what discs do you use as verbs are hard to get hold of & i like to keep them for game backups

i just stream them with windows media connect using the video tab in the media blade. bloody brilliant :)

id have posted this sooner if id have known it wasnt common knowledge, ive got loads of them now all burnt to dl and case covers and discs printed off, i just put them in the green dvd cases so i know which are hd and which are my normal dvds.

yes, but do you still use verbs for films or can you use cheaper discs. i did perfume the story of a murderer on a verb & the picture was brilliant.

yes, but do you still use verbs for films or can you use cheaper discs. i did perfume the story of a murderer on a verb & the picture was brilliant.

No, you dont need verbs to watch movies. Cheaper discs will do.
But the movie I burnt was to a single layer disc. I've not burnt any to dual layer. I mostly stream them.

Last edited:
I have been watching wmv hd movies on my 360 for a few months now ever since I got my HD projector.
You can burn them as a data disc to either dual layer or single layer depending on size and they work fine and this is on cheap non verb discs.
I have a great site that has lots of films but it is currently at full member capacity at the mo, as soon as they are accepting new members I will inform you all.
If anyone is interested I can give you a guide on how to convert hdx264 ect to hd wmv so if you only have access to sites with only x264 you can convert them your self Just let me know.

720p, 1080i, 1080p??????

ok if your TV only accepts upto 1080i then you are best setting your 360 to 720p because p = progressive and will give you a better looking and better scrolling picture than 1080i as i = interlaced.
If your TV supports 1080p or supposedly supports it then set your 360 to 1080p but make sure that your TV accepts true 1080p because some TVs will claim they accept it but they downscale it to 1080i so please make sure your TV supports true 1080p.
As for which wmvhd should I download? 720p, 1080i r 1080p? then this will work in the same way as described above but to be honest which ever one you decide to watch you will be impressed with coz hd is so clear you will love any of the formats.

anyone managed to get this on a dual layer .....Pirates of the Caribbean Dead Man's Chest.1080p................

nero says bout 24mb too much .....so to big to fit on dual layer the actul size of file is 8.21gb

cant it be burnt with another software

u could split dvd9 wmv's into two and burn on single layer if (like me) ur a cheapskate :)

'Color us tickled, but we totally missed some of the finest points of all in Microsoft's Xbox 360 spring Dashboard update: they're totally tricking out the video (finally!). No longer will we be confined to our very least favorite video codec, WMV -- the new update will enable Windows Media Connect or Media Center streaming MPEG-4 up to 8Mbps, H.264 up to 15Mbps, and PlaysForSure WMV videos (and, as we understand it, PlaysForSure audio as well). Wow, finally we can actually use the 360 to play video that wasn't recorded off our Media Center or converted by our Zune software (cough, hack). See, was that so hard, Microsoft?'

anyone played a h.264 file on the 360? are they .mkv files?

Ive been converting my dvd collection to .mp4 movies. About 1.5gig in size and quality is as good as original dvd. Can stream from my Vista machine to xbox360 fine now! Still have to do it through video blade though and not through media centre for some reason! Does the tirck though!

Im using a programme called automkv, it lets you Q up jobs so I can leave it going through the night converting to its hearts content!

u could split dvd9 wmv's into two and burn on single layer if (like me) ur a cheapskate :)

'Color us tickled, but we totally missed some of the finest points of all in Microsoft's Xbox 360 spring Dashboard update: they're totally tricking out the video (finally!). No longer will we be confined to our very least favorite video codec, WMV -- the new update will enable Windows Media Connect or Media Center streaming MPEG-4 up to 8Mbps, H.264 up to 15Mbps, and PlaysForSure WMV videos (and, as we understand it, PlaysForSure audio as well). Wow, finally we can actually use the 360 to play video that wasn't recorded off our Media Center or converted by our Zune software (cough, hack). See, was that so hard, Microsoft?'

anyone played a h.264 file on the 360? are they .mkv files?

il down load some h264 and give them a try they must be awsome quality coz most of them are over 10 gig, il let you know what they are likie when i get one down.

Back