Help......Scam or the real thing ?

Bronto

Global Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
While on line tonight I went on a website and I got the messege

"Your browser appears to have the "GlobalNetcom" parasite installed"

it said it may have been installed without my knowledge (obviously cos I don't know what the feck it is, lol :))and that it may be a security threat, anyway they wanted money from me to send me a program to get rid of it, is this a scam ? or is this a potential threat to my PC ? if so any idea's how to get rid of it ?

Parasite: GlobalNetcom
This record last updated Wed Oct 22 2003 14:51:39

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the overwhelming extent of this problem and the unbelievable volume of email we have received, we regret that we cannot respond to questions about browser parasites at this time. If you have attempted to contact us about this parasite please accept our apology for not responding. "Thank you's" are always appreciated ;-)

Description
An ActiveX installer for premium-rate phone diallers.

Distribution
Downloaded at German sites (sometime promoted by junk e-mail).

What it does
Advertising
No.

Privacy violation
No.

Security issues
Yes. Any web page can direct it to install arbitrary code downloaded from its home server.

Stability problems
No.

Removal
Spybot S&D can detect and remove GlobalNetcom.

Manual removal
Open 'Downloaded Program Files' in the Windows folder, right-click the 'IELoaderCtl Class' entry and choose 'Remove'.

looks like a scam cos u can remove it ur self

thanks for the info david ;) not long reinstalled XP and not put spybot back on yet, I'll get it on in the morning, thanks m8, btw the site I was on (can't find it again, even in my history ??) wanted £9.99........... robbing feckers :Hit:

Back