Hardware Help Levelling robes

zad

Inactive User
Reaction score
Help

Evening,

My lad bought some second hand gear off some one who had upgraded and I am having a right nightmare with it.

Intel I5 750
Titan Fenrir cpu cooler
Asus HD5850 GFX
Giganyte P55 mobo
8 gig ram
Antec case

All off same guy

XFX 550 Pro PSU

So we cleaned it all etc re-seated the cpu and cooler blah blah.

Got windows 7 installed and then the lad decided to start putting drivers on starting with the gpu. unsure if its a coincidence but it is now very hit n miss if it will boot, it seems to be more reliable if I press the gfx card down. it then goes in a boot loop bsod'ing after the initial windows spinning colour screen.

any suggestions please.

Last edited:
Re: Help

What is the stop error on the BSOD?

If it flashes up too quick, try booting into safe mode. Once booted, go to start > Control Panel > System and security > System > Advanced system settings > Startup and Recovery > Settings button > uncheck Automatically restart > OK > OK.

If it crashes in safe mode, it's unlikely to be drivers.

If the PSU is the same age of the i5 750, I'd suggest starting by swapping for a known good one.

What is the stop error on the BSOD?

If it flashes up too quick, try booting into safe mode. Once booted, go to start > Control Panel > System and security > System > Advanced system settings > Startup and Recovery > Settings button > uncheck Automatically restart > OK > OK.

If it crashes in safe mode, it's unlikely to be drivers.

If the PSU is the same age of the i5 750, I'd suggest starting by swapping for a known good one.

It wont boot to safe mode, just goes back to post screen etc, if I run the repair bit it does say bad driver is number 7 but it wont repair it lol.

Psu is 550pro xfx and is more than adequate 18month old, going to take it all out of case and try on bench incase its shorting out thats the only thing I can think of.

The XFX 550 is a pretty good brand, they are normally reliable. Other problem might be RAM is not properly seated.

Bench is probably a good idea.

Might be worth trying a live disc too, just to rule out the HDD.

At 18 months the PSU should be fine, but you get bad batches with everything. If you rule all else out, consider at least testing with a PSU tester/multimeter.

Back