HDD to PS2

plasterer

DW Member +
Reaction score
HI all , my little lads goin through ps2s like a house on fire , think am on me fourth in 2 years. Been reading bits and bobs on here and else were about connecting to a hard drive and playing from there Any body tell me how easy it is to do this and what i need . Cheers Paul

Had a hard drive in my PS2 for quite some time now, saved me a fortune in money cause I can just download games now and don't have pay £30 a pop.

The basics are that you need the older fatter PS2 not the newer slimline model, there is an external hard drive available for the slimlines but it's not that good.

You next need to get a network adaptor, these can be like rocking horse shit to find as Sony stopped making them well over a year ago, soon after they realised that people could copy hard games onto the drive.

You then need a suitable hard drive, by suitable I mean Maxtor or Seagate as they have the correct spacing between the IDE and molex power connector else you'll have to mod the network adaptor. I use a Western Digital 160gb drive which wouldn't fit but after a bit of hacksawing and filing managed to get the drive to fit but you can avoid this hassle by getting the correct drive, I had the 160gb drive lying around so for me it made sense to use it.

The drive fits on the inside of the network adaptor and then the whole thing slides into the spare slot in the back of the PS2.

You then need some software like HD Loader or HD Advance, this allows you to boot the PS2 off the CD/DVD they supply and it presents a menu with the contents of the hard drive ie the games that have been loaded.

You can then use HD Loader/Advance to copy games onto the hard drive but the software only allows you to load original games so get the games from your friends or rent them from BlockBuster.

Now to the interesting, if you disconnect the hard drive from the PS2 and connect it to your PC using a standard IDE connector you can run a piece of software called WinHiip, using WinHiip you can copy any game to the hard drive, this is how I copy downloaded games ISOs onto the hard drive, put the hard drive back in the PS2 and bingo the games available to play.

Some games won't work from the hard drive, most seem to so before downloading a game do some research to see if you're wasting your time.

I purchased my network adaptor and hd advance from the web, I think at the time they were around £15 a pop.

Hope that answers all questions, post back if I've missed anything.

Thanx for your quick reply m8 Already done most of that Games to hd. Is it possible to transfer tops2 with a network cable witout taking the 80 gig maxtor out On winhiip it wants to know your ip address i do i find this Big cheers again pal

you can now use USBeXtreme for your Ps2 slimline!

just buy an external housing for your HDD or buy a ready made external hard drive! (usb)

plug and play!

hi, does the ps2 need to be chi[ped to use this hardrive feature. thanks

thanks, gna do me ps2, altho i got xbox all sorted up. lol

Sounds good.
If you get stuck just drop me a PM!

hey

can you help me networking my ps2 to my laptop
either by direct ethernet connection or wirelessly through a wireless router

thanks

im new to this too and was looking at doing for my son. is it possible to ftp the iso's to the hdd while its in the ps2 rather than needing to take it out out and putting in pc?

Another aritcle to read is
Advanced PS2 Networking
A guide that explains how to insure your PS2 and PC can communicate properly over LAN.
Found here

Back