Hargreaves set on Man Utd switch

primal

Inactive User
Reaction score
Bayern Munich midfielder Owen Hargreaves will insist he wants to leave the club for Manchester United, BBC Sport understands.

The 25-year-old is keen for the switch and told German magazine Sport Bild: "The offer from United is fantastic."

Bayern say they are determined to keep him but Hargreaves will reaffirm his stance when he returns to Germany after England's friendly against Greece.

There have been preliminary talks and United appear willing to offer £13m.

But Bayern general manager Uli Hoeness said: "Hargreaves is not a subject of discussion.

"Owen has a contract until 2010 and he will complete it. The issue is closed."

To play (for Manchester United) is a great opportunity and I would be happy if I got that chance

Owen Hargreaves

Bayern would be reluctant to sell Hargreaves after fellow central midfield star Michael Ballack left them to join Chelsea at the end of last season.

Bayern coach Felix Magath added: "I am not planning to get rid of any players, particularly not Hargreaves - it has never been an issue."

But Hargreaves is keen for a move to go through and seize on his raised profile in England following his combative and tough-tackling displays during the World Cup.

He was seen as England's player of the tournament and will start in the friendly against Greece in new manager Steve McClaren's first game in charge.

Hargreaves said: "To play (for Manchester United) is a great opportunity and I would be happy if I got that chance.

"Particularly as an England international, it's of interest and you never know if such an opportunity will arise again.

"Now is the time to take the next step to develop even further."

Hargreaves has been at Bayern since moving to the club from Canada as a 16-year-old in 1997 and Hoeness is determined to keep him.

He helped Bayern to the Champions League title in 2001 and has also won four Bundesliga titles with the club.

His inclusion in former England coach Sven-Goran Eriksson's sqaud for the World Cup raised eyebrows after he had failed to establish himself since his international debut against Holland in August 2001.

But he was in impressive form in Germany and starred when he played against Sweden and Portugal.

Hargreaves has been linked with numerous Premiership clubs over recent years, including Arsenal, Tottenham and Middlesbrough.

defensively hes good but offensively hes definatly not worldclass and man utd are an attacking team so need high quality players with cutting edge.

Haha they getting their priorities wrong - they ought to be trying to get a replacement striker for Van Nisteroy instead! Are there any decent strikers still available on the transfer market??

Gargamel said:
Haha they getting their priorities wrong - they ought to be trying to get a replacement striker for Van Nisteroy instead! Are there any decent strikers still available on the transfer market??

We need midfielders and Hargreaves is the type of player we need, a ball winner! Hopefully we sign him, everyone has seen his performance in the world cup, he was the best player out there when he played, everyone was writing him off sayin hes Sh** but he proved everyone wrong! I think it will be a good signing if he comes! :)

Back