hard drive mod

marra

Inactive User
Reaction score
hi my 120gb sata drive turned up today and im looking to replace my 20gb xbox hdd with it can anyone point me to the best tut i allready have the files.
i dont know if it matters but i have the ms hard drive transfer kit and the adapter that comes with a ck3 explorer i think its called, thanks.

forgot to add i have 2 360 hard drives so would i be able to setup one shell with my 120gb drive set it up then copy the data from the 360 hard drive with my saves etc on to the 120gb using the transfer kit or is this the long way about it, cheers.

Last edited:
as anyone any ideas on this im pulling my hair out,
ive got my original 20gb hard drive in a enclosure and my new 120gb wd scorpio bevs drive in a enclosure im using the xecuter hdd adapter ive attached the 120 drive to pc it shows on boot up, in hddhackr in dos and device manager in xp (it shows as unalocated),
ive booted to dos and used hddhackr in auto mode and gone through the process
flash, made undo.bin and then it goes to another screen where i get the message

information in sector 16 does not match the drives firmware info.
do you want to flash xbox360 compatible firmware (Y/N)

i press yes and then a few seconds later it goes to the c: prompt so i disconected and put the hdd on the xbox but the xbox says when i goto memory no storage device found.

is this saying that the hdd dosen't have the f/w or does the drive have to be formated fat/ntfs on a pc before the xbox will see it, the drive ive got is brand new with no partition at the moment. thanks any help is appreciated.

Last edited:
give this a try mate worked for me -

How to use:

Get yourself a Western Digital SATA BEVS HDD. To use this tool, you need
a HDD security sector file ('hddss.bin'). If you don't have one, here's how
to create one from a valid xbox 360 HDD:

* Dumping the hddss.bin file *
Boot to dos from a writeable medium (like a floppy). Connect an *original*
xbox 360 HDD to your SATA controller. Make sure it is the only SATA device
that is connected. Now run 'hddhackr -d'. This will create a file 'hddss.bin'
and it will save it to the path you've started the hddhackr from.

* Modding your Western Digital *
Now turn off your PC and connect the Western Digital and boot to dos again.
Type 'hddhackr -f' from the same path you have saved the hddss.bin file to.
This will flash your FW. It will ask if you want to create an undo file. It
is advised to do so. This will create an 'undo.bin' file that you need if
you want to undo the hack.

* Check if it worked *
Shut down your pc, reboot again to dos and again type 'hddhackr -f'. It
should now tell you that the drive should work in your x360. If so, connect
it to your x360 and go to your dashboard/system/memory where you should be
able to format the drive.

* Restoring your WD to original state *
If you don't want to use your modded WD in your x360 anymore and you want to
flash it back to its original size, then you can now do so. Boot to dos again
and run 'hddhackr -u'. This will use the undo.bin file you created before to
restore the drive to its original state.

thanks for the reply mate but im now sure the fw is not flashing to the hdd it will let me flash it over and over and allways the same details show, i think my problem is when i say yes to flash the drive it waits a few secs then goes back to the c: prompt with nothing saying the drive is flashed im using ntfs4dos cd which could be my prob but its allways worked in the past when ive used dos to flash dvd drives so i dont think that is my prob i know i said it in the last post but could it be because the drive is brand new and not partitioned at all will i need to format the drive then flash the f/w in dos and then if everything is fine format it in the 360, im at a total loss ive been doing it on and off all day, cheers.

ive tried another version of dos and now when i try to flash the hdd i get LBA size dosent match or something like that ive been on this all day it looked easy in the tut ive tried 2 pcs with same prob on each. any help is appreciated thanks.

im sorry to keep replying to my own posts but ive done it :Clap:

:Laugh: :Clap: finally 3am and ive managed it what a pile of bo**cks thats was i finally got the f/w flashed if anyone else gets a similar prob let me know and ill pm the files the short story i used a app which is on hirens cd (tried 2 ver couldnt get it to work) called HDAT2 ive never heard of it myself but heres how

Just found answer about LBA problem on other forum (polish language) .User seems fix this by using HDAT2 (U can find it on HirenBootCD) and remove HPA (HOST PROTECTED AREA) on disk.
procedure :
In HDAT2 choose your drive > set max (hpa) menu > set max addres ,then press S , Y and other (any) key to go back from menu. Again choose your drive > device configuration overlay menu > modify > host protected area (hpa) ,change it from 'dont change' to 'remove' press S , Y and ESC to go back to DOS ,and shutdown computer. If u have problems to change HPA permanently try disconnect drive from power for few seconds before whole procedure.
Hope this will help to restore proper LBA size to 234441648 for 120gb drive

basically the above looks harder than it is i started hdat2 went to my hard drive which in red it was saying i had hidden space (the prob) and if i wanted to fix it i said yes and the flash worked 1st time on the pc i dont use for anything like this so at least after this i know my other pc should 360 drives too ill format the hdd in the morn and hopefully i just need to use the conectivity kit to copy over from my 20gb, thanks for looking.

Last edited:
just a quick update, i put the hdd in the xbox to format this morning everything went fine and i went to copy the 20gb >> 120gb using the ms transfer kit and disc and everything went great ready and was ready to go so instead of transfering everything i left it as i was busy and when i went back to do it later the 120gb was unrecognised in the 360 so i put it back on the pc used the undo.bin and started the whole process again geting the lba error but this time i needed to complete all the steps in post 6 to get it right, ive reflashed the f/w i didnt need to format it again and ive transfered 20gb >> 120gb and everything seems fine. looking back im not sure why the drive stoped being recognised but if i was to do it again and got the lba error i would do all the steps in post 6.
if anyone who hasnt allready done this is considering trying it all though i had alot of trouble it can go two ways if everything goes right it can be done in 5 mins and ready to format and also you may need to try different pc's the pc i would normally use was giving me problems or it is possible that the xecuter hdd connector was causing probs.

Hey Guys & Gals, I Have A Question About Hooking up A USB External HDD to My XBOX 360....#1.Is It Possible To Do this?..#2.Does It Have To Be Hard Wired Or Can I Use The USB Port On The XBOX360?..#3.Is There A Tut. That I Can Be Directed To For This Or Is There Even One Made For This yet?...#4.Can You Give Me A List Of Software I Will Need...#5.Has Anybody Had Any Problems With This?

Thanks In Advance, I really Appreciate This!! ROCKON!!

P.S. I've Already Modded My XBOX 1 Witha 500Gb HDD & Have Flashed My Hitachi DVD Drive On The 360 & Back Up My Games, So I Have Some Software, But Don't know What I Will Need For The External HDD. Thanks Again!!:emotions1:cool:

Hi all i would like to build my own hdd but i dont have the original hdd to copy the files from can it still be done? thanks

Back