Hardware Hard drive failure on laptop

*Matt*

Inactive User
Reaction score
hi all

i keep getting hard drive failure warnings on my laptop (acer 5755g)

does anybody know if i there's any compatible flash drives and how i go about moving windows/settings over?

Thanks

Matt

any 2.5 Hard drive will works, you need to get one and clone your drive over before it fails, because if it does you will not only lose you OS but also your backup partion which means a longest job installing everything :) and you don't want that.

ok thanks

will i need any new cables, caddys or anything or is it plug and play kinda thing?

whats the best backup prog?

Thanks

Matt

got the new drive today, went to turn my laptop on to clone the drive and it boots to a blank screen.........fookin great.

how the fook do i go about that now?
it still lets me log on (picture password)
an the drive seems to have a recovery partition.....or is that how the hdd fails....just kinda falls to pieces
ive no windows disks or anything, it was a windows 8 upgrade

might aswell go back to windows 7

thanks

Matt

Last edited:
how the fook do i go about that now?
it still lets me log on (picture password)
an the drive seems to have a recovery partition.....or is that how the hdd fails....just kinda falls to pieces
ive no windows disks or anything, it was a windows 8 upgrade

might aswell go back to windows 7

thanks

Matt

You have a 2.5" drive caddy? Try an image off the old drive to the new. If that doesn't work try 30 minutes in the freezer for the old drive (yeah I know, sounds like a p*sstake but sometimes works). Do you still have the Win7 to Win8 upgrade disks? Copy the recovery partition to the new drive, recover and upgrade.

it was a download upgrade so no disks.
i have a 2.5 caddy with the 500gb ssd but this computer wont recognize it? wont even pick it up to format?

had enough!
gonna put a clean install of windows 7 on.
just hope all my quotes and invoices synced to dropbox!

You have a 2.5" drive caddy? Try an image off the old drive to the new. If that doesn't work try 30 minutes in the freezer for the old drive (yeah I know, sounds like a p*sstake but sometimes works). Do you still have the Win7 to Win8 upgrade disks? Copy the recovery partition to the new drive, recover and upgrade.

The freezer trick worked, let me recover all my quotes and invoices!

Hi mate,out of interest you might be as well making an image of your hdd, just incase any future probs, i use acronis true image and have had no probs.

Back