Hard drive failure 'imminent'

pipsqueaker

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi pilgrims
Booting up my lappy this morning. Before windows started this message appeared: "Smart disk diagnostics suggested that hard drive 1 faces imminent failure, back up data and run checkdisk"

Is there anything to really worry about, I turned the lappy off straight away, didn't want to mess about before going to work.

As it says, Hard disk on it's way out. should last a bit longer but look at backing up your data and getting a new one

yes it something to worry about. SMART is basically a way for the disk to talk to the operating system about how it feels. The message you are getting is likely because the disk is having problems reading or writing data. As there is a level of error correction built into the hardware, it will keep working for now but the number of errors has exceeded some threshold and most likely increasing meaning the disk is likely to start suffering from errors which it can't correct. As MoS mentioned, time to backup your data and RMA the drive if its still under warranty.

I use this, HD Tune website which can do more detailed diagnostics of the drive including reading the SMART information.

It might be worth a try running hdd regenerator, it's worked for me several times in the past to fix the disc surface.
The one problem it has is it takes a while to run. It can be found on the hirens boot cd, found in the usual places.
If you can't find it let me know.

Whatever you decide to do, the number one priority is to get that hard disc backed up pronto.

Whatever you decide to do, the number one priority is to get that hard disc backed up pronto.

Nara is spot on here matey, no matter how you do it, borrow someones usb hdd or take the computer to a friends or something, back up any data you don't want to lose now!! Then if you want to dig a little deeper into why the drive is reporting such errors your free to but the last thing you want is to be running some diagnostic tool which is stressing the drive and it fail completely before you get on to backing up.

HDD's have a habit of making some strange noises before giving up the ghost mate, anything audible?

take all advice mate priority a backup either full drive or just what you need

then you can start to investigate or just replace it

Grab a USB drive and run a full windows backup. Could opportunity to buy SSD now to replace the old hd

Sent from my GT-I9100

Back