Hard Drive About To Fail - [Norton Ghost or something ??!?!]

dibbers

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Chaps, turning on me spare pc that i use for mending stuff...*ahem* it keeps telling me that the massive 20 gig :banana: hard drive in it is about to fail at any minute and i should back up what i need and replace.

Can i use something like Norton ghost or what ever it's called and make a complete back up, plop something bigger in it, something huge like a 30 gig or something and duplicate the entire system with drives and all files and that working like it had never happend, or i'm having a pipe dream?

I've read a bit on them and just wondering do they really work.?!??!

Plug massive 30 Gb Drive in as slave, Get Hirens out use ghost n ghost drive straight to second drive, remove 20 Gb drive swap for 30Gb bobs ya uncle fanny's ya granny!!!!

lollo....mint will try tomorrow then, thanks for that man, never thought of that cd it's an awesome cd that like! cheers will try it!

ah well after pulling the beast apart i have a huge spare 40 gig free that i was going to do but just realised that it only has 2 ide cables...one for the cd rom x2 speed i think it is (lol) and one for the existing drive...

It's that old i guess it won't even boot from usb.....wonder if i can make an image ??? and then copy it back to drive.

If you have 2 ide channels you can still do this!!

Is it just that the cable only has a single ide connection currently, just get an ide cable with Master n Slave Connections.

If all else fails you can use a Ghost Floppy Disk!!!!! I think I still have an image.

yeah the cable only has one slot for a drive, i could get a cable and with the 2 slots in it and that but i'd have to use an external power source and would the bios then pick up three drives, 2 x HDD and 1 x CDROM.

I've just noticed that i have a RAID card in for the xbox's and that has a IDE slot on it so i take it i could use that and connect the HDD to that, using an external power source for now?

Each IDE Channel should accept 2 Drives a Master n Slave, if you don't have enough power connectors you can get a Y connector (Maplins) to split a power connector into 2.

I'm unsure if your raid card will be recognized by Norton, remember you will be booting from a minimal setup from Hiren's but there's no harm in trying.

just grabbed a copy of norton ghost and was gonna give that a go as your right about the RAID card and that route. so according to ghost it will do it for me and make a copy of the entire disk.....gonna give it a bash now.

can't blieve how easy that was, downloaded Ghost, didn't know how to use it, lol, so then got a copy of Acronis® True Image Home 2010 and that was like 3 clicks, didn't build my hopes up as copying the whole system to another disk and pluggng it in was just a pipe dream, yet it worked! Quality! amazing stuff! now have a new drive in there and it's all working the way it was........

Last edited:
Back