Hacking NDS Lite: What You Need To Know

english

Inactive User
Reaction score
Here is a quote from someone who knows exactly what they're talking about:

'But I did learn two things when I finally got it to work, that I hope can be helpful to others flashing their ds lite:

1) Once the recovery firmware successfully loaded onto your ds, and it gets turned off for whatever reason (probably #2), you need to take out your pass me. The recovery fw won't work with it (or anything probably) plugged into the ds slot. Once I took that out and tried it, the recovery fw worked fine.

2) I believe there is some component within the sl1 hole which is very easy to touch and short out in at least this version of the ds lite (I got mine around May 1, from lik sang, its navy blue). It seems signficiantly easier to short that than it is to short sl1. Whenever that happens the nds turns off. I can easily understand why people are having this happen to them when they have only gotten to 1%. I consider myself very lucky to have gotten to 47% the first time. It literally took me 15-20 tries before I got up to 100%, just to get the correct orientation & size of the tool in the hole, to get sl1 shorted, while not making the ds turn off.

This seems to be pretty dangerous for flashme and the dslite, although not really a problem unless you are trying to flash firmware. Probably there is a good workaround for this. (Perhaps putting something insulating on the right side of the whole before putting in whatever you use to short sl1?) It probably would be a big help to figure this out exactly and put a note about it in the flashme docs.

it's not really a big deal if you know about it; like fartz said, you just need to put a little roll of paper around the sides of the sl1 hole.

RECOVERY MODE

NOTE: Make sure there is NOTHING inserted into the DS slot. This includes a game or PassMe1/2!

First, write flashme.nds to your media (Supercard) and insert it into the GBA slot.
Next, hold SELECT+START+A+B all at the same time and turn your DS on.
The DS will boot directly to the GBA slot and from here, you can launch flashme.nds (If it isn't already started) and install it again.

Ok. He is talking about Flashme V7 (for all NDS especially Lite):

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, especially since I have just preordered my DS Lite.

Do you have an image of what needs covering to prevent the short?

I haven't sorry and your'e welcome. If I was was to do one I would wrap a piece of paper or even insulating tape around the thing your'e using to short sl1-leave the last couple of millimetres exposed. Sounds like they put a bit of metal at the top just in case you decide to flash it ;) I use a mobile phone power adaptor end to do mine.

:mexican: :mexican: :mexican:

RECOVERY MODE

NOTE: Make sure there is NOTHING inserted into the DS slot. This includes a game or PassMe1/2!

First, write flashme.nds to your media (Supercard) and insert it into the GBA slot.
Next, hold SELECT+START+A+B all at the same time and turn your DS on.
The DS will boot directly to the GBA slot and from here, you can launch flashme.nds (If it isn't already started) and install it again.

Tried this about 20 times, still boots to two black screens (Green power light comes on and switches off OK) I am assuming here that the firmware would need to be forced on (Read something about a recovery that included ppflash.exe and some soldering and a Lite was easier fixed than a standard DS) Anyone know if this can be done ? Know any one who does this type of repair ?

Cheers

Back