Hacked Ambit 250 modem - need someone to diagnose what's wrong

poolfan

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi folks.

I used the 250configurator tool, got all settings completed & downloaded.

when I check the modem homepage on Firefox, all parameters/settings seem fine.

however when I try to laod webpage (e.g. google), I get a login & password screen, with message as follows 'A SID is a unique reference for an individual customer. e.g. john.smith [ @ upcmail.ie]'????

I also saw an error message on telnet conenction to modem upon reboot after loaded new settings, message said that 'unrecognised OID', also said 'logging event TLV-11 - unrecognised OID' , also 'sending syslog message from IF 1 to (My TFTP IP)

can it simply be an unsuitable MAC address or somethings else?

any help wouild be appreciated

you lost me at

'however when I try to laod webpage (e.g. google), I get a login & password screen, with message as follows 'A SID is a unique reference for an individual customer. e.g. john.smith [ @ upcmail.ie]'

I ain't never seen that before.

do an ad aware / antivirus check?

doubt it's a virus, as I switched back to my paid for modem and that worked after laptop reset.

did an Adaware scan, came up with some minor stuff only.

however, looked simply like a login screen I had to get past before getting into internet. similar to what you get in hotel conenctions in rooms etc.

anybody understand why I get this screen up or what 'unrecognised OID' means?

couldn't upload the pics I have, said they weren't correct dimensions???

attached is a .doc with 3 pics

first shows the modem settings when accessed from browser
2nd is the username prompt when trying to access web
3rd is telnet info

what is ur config .... cm_max.bin m8

i didnt notice u were Irish there too not sure how things work there ;( sorry

yeah, cm_max.bin is config file for the fastest conenction speed (only 6Mg)

thanks for trying anyways. hopefully someone might understand what it means

one thing I don't understand is as follwos - may answer the question.

The MAC address I downloaded to the modem has to be from a different area, else may have two modems with same MAC, neither then work. I used the TFTP IP (whatever that is) of my own area.

Should I not put in the TFTP IP that matches the MAC address I was supplied with from elsewhere in Dublin, rather than my own TFTP IP #?

one thing I don't understand is as follwos - may answer the question.

The MAC address I downloaded to the modem has to be from a different area, else may have two modems with same MAC, neither then work. I used the TFTP IP (whatever that is) of my own area.

Should I not put in the TFTP IP that matches the MAC address I was supplied with from elsewhere in Dublin, rather than my own TFTP IP #?

if you want it to work in your area i'd assume that the tftp would be the same as yours, thats wot works for me

fair enough, that's not the problem then?

MAybe the MAC is from same area as me, or just not a valid MAC so not recognised by NTHell, so they blocked the connection?

fair enough, that's not the problem then?

MAybe the MAC is from same area as me, or just not a valid MAC so not recognised by NTHell, so they blocked the connection?

if it was a mac from the same area they wouldn't give u a wierd alternate login m8 ur modem would just reboot constantly, which would happen to the other person sharing the mac

if the mac wasnt valid you just wouldnt be able to connect

that login screen looks like a router login or something, but i dont really know, as i havent seen it before

if the mac wasnt valid you just wouldnt be able to connect

that login screen looks like a router login or something, but i dont really know, as i havent seen it before

might try a makey uppy MAC address tomorrow and see if I get same or different login window in browser after it's downloaded to modem. worth a try anyway.

I'll wait till tomorrow in case anyone on here has any brain waves!!

cheers for help.

I think it is an invalid mac, I was getting it at one point.

Mine is set to annex_a what happens when you set yours to annex_a?

i cant use firefox to login at all i get this after login

The image “http://192.168.100.1/” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

then the page is called (GIF Image) lol , and i dont have I.E so i just open up my computer and type in 192.168.100.1 then it promts me login & pass and all is fine weird tho but works lol

For some reason today, I cannot connect to the modem. I have ethernet cable plugged into it direct to laptop, the green LED for Enet lit on modem.

I have tried 250 configurator tool, ambig configurator tool, telnet from DOS, ping from DOS, all failing, saying TCIP error.

Anyone guess what could be the problem with modem

Do the Ambit 250's have high failure rates wrt ethernet card?

Reflash it, also change the password on the modem.

Mine got set to DE:AD:01 and DE:AD:02 and I couldn't connect to it via telnet anymore.
Never had a problem since I changed the password.

cheers

I bought a preflashed modem - do I need a MAX232 lead to reflash or can this be done via ethernet cable or USB cable?

can you clarify

I need to reflash as lost communications to the modem (has Infinite Firmware preinstalled).

I can reflash using MAC changer or do you think I just need to change my MAC #?

Back